Test kits

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

salifert & hach are about the best ones out there. hach get very expensive, so most use salifert.

Not really. I dont test for much of anything else. Amonnia is nice but really not neccesary once the tank has cycled in my opinion. I have seatest ammonia that I never use.

I also use aquarium pharmaceuticals test kit.. It is that cheap master test kit
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4452&ref=3532&subref=BE&N=2004+113074
I have tested it along with tetra and salifert and this is my results for ph..
tetra (worse test kit you could buy) 7.7-7.8
salifert (rated the best among hobbyist) 8.2-8.3
aquarium pharmaceuticals (cheap) 8.2-8.4

Thats my experiance

I use a salifert test for calcium and will buy the salifert test for each other value you would test for..

I use Salifert, but have a SeaChem test kit for Mg. When I needed the Mg test kit, there weren't any Salifert available anywhere.

Here are a few questions ...... what makes a test kit good? Obviously accuracy, but why is Salifert so much better than the others? I like that Habib has lot numbers on all the solutions. What about expiration dates....do all brands have them?

Where do you store your test kits? I keep mine in another room high up in the cabinet (keeping little hands away....no child proof lids), and to have it away from the moisture near the tank. I suppose keeping them in an air tight container would accomplish the same thing.

One comment on accuracy of test kits. IMO, they are only as accurate as the user makes them. For example, if you are reading the wrong portion of the syringe when performing a titration (like in a Calcium or Alk test), then your reading will be off. I believe in the Salifert directions it tells you which part of the plunger to read from. If you consistently perform a test the same way, then you can note general trends, but if you aren't reading the results correctly, then you might be slightly off target.

Oh sorry man, I left that one out. I use salifert, after throwing a very very inaccurate Aq-Pharm test in the garbage. LOL

I had a good Hagen calcium test after trying 2 from the LFS against salifert and getting good results. Then supposedly Hagen sold the company. Since that time I tested 2 kits from different batches against Salifert kits, the Hagens were over 300 points off, that's pathetic. Gave readings of 625-750 with variations like that in back to back tests on the same water with the same kit.

Kate

Nikki do you like the Sea Chem test kit? Do you think it's accurate? I have the same test kit from Sea Chem but I have not used it yet.

Just a quick note for everyone.
Saltyfishonline.com has the Salifert test kits on sale now. Best price I have seen.

mungus - it seems accurate. The results are inline with most of the posts I've seen on IO magnesium (and Oceanic when I used that salt). I haven't compared it against a Salifert kit yet, but I can't imagine it being off too much. I will say that it is more complicated than Salifert kits....definately a con.

La-Mott & Saliflert here.
Now the question of how can one tell if a test kit is accurate enough for what your testing, we can discuss this some. Is it necessary to have a very accurate test on all of your readings? Some kits go for 5 bucks & others 25 for the same type of test, is it the money difference that makes them better?

I use a tetra Ph kit and it is fine, and cheap too. If you change your water every week and use RO / DI water then you can have that extra confidence. So I think you're right, price dosen't always seem to matter. It could be a matter of what is working for you. If the aquarium is thriving and your making tests they must be pretty close to accurate. But if your tests all come up good and there is a problem in the reef then something could be wrong. Maybe it is the test kit maybe you are overlooking something else. So many variables can play a factor in how your test results come out. Even the spot in your tank where you make the test can change a reading. Like with a calcium test you may not get the same reading if you test water in the main flow and then some near the sand bed. At least these are things I've learned, maybe others have noticed them too.

Back