Test results in a Nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

PNWnano

So here is my question.... Is this a normal part of the cycle?
Tank is a 10gal Nano with approx. 10lbs live rock, sand, refugium with Chaeto, a blue hermit, a snail, and a small Dragon Eye zoo polyp. Tank has been up for a few weeks now. I have not performed any water changes during this cycling process.

My high test reading was last Monday, Ammonia: 7.5ppm, Nitrite: 1.0ppm, Nitrates: 20ppm.

After this test I did one on Thursday and one Saturday with the same results for all 3.
Ammonia: 0.0ppm, Nitrite: .05ppm, Nitrates: 2.5ppm

Today I did a test to show my son how to do it and I had the following readings:
Ammonia: 1.0ppm, Nitrites: 0.2ppm, Nitrates: 5ppm

My question is, is my tank cycling "again" or is it still in the middle of cycling. Or is this just a common occurance with a nano and a never ending balancing act between the 3.

When I had a 400gallon reef I never saw the tests go up and down like this, i saw a spike and then test readings level out.

I know Nitrates are hard to keep at zero but i figured the rest should have finished settling.

Are the dates good on your test kits? Also, which brand test kits are you using? Typically, ammonia should spike first and then once the necessary aerobic bacteria begins to accumilate in your tank, your ammonia should start falling off as it is converted into less toxic nitrites. Usually from there (ie once ammonia has completely fallen off) you shouldn't really see any more traces of ammonia in your system when testing for it as the bacteria does a really good job at converting it as it is made available to it. It is then that your nitrites will start to rise until another aerobic bacteria begins to break that down further into even less toxic nitrates. Once your nitrites have completely fallen off, again you shouldn't ever really read any more traces of nitrites in your system as this bacteria as well is very efficient at converting any nitrites made available to them in a short amount of time. Nitrates as you mentioned are the hardest ones to work off and sometimes will be the one you will see show up on test kits more often. I don't think I've ever seen a case where ammonia or nitrite re-appeared/showed up on a test kit once they got down to zero so it is strange you are getting these readings...Makes me think either false readings from a bad test kit or something. Tank size doesn't matter. A cycle is a cycle so your tank may still just be trying to find it's balance which at this time, I wouldn't add anything else in there until things have settled and ammonia and nitrites hit zero and remain there.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Yeah I have no plans to add anything until it settles, Mainly curious why it is giving me the readings. The test kit is a Red Sea kit so it is not the greatest test kit in the world but it is working for the time being until I receive my new fancy one in the mail.

Yeah I have no plans to add anything until it settles, Mainly curious why it is giving me the readings. The test kit is a Red Sea kit so it is not the greatest test kit in the world but it is working for the time being until I receive my new fancy one in the mail.

Cool...Well, I'll wait until you get the new kits and see what type of readings you get. Quite honestly, you shouldn't see ammonia or nitrite drop off then come back up unless something crazy happened in your tank like something significant died in your tank and was left there that your current bacterial colonies couldn't handle. Either that or you removed a bunch of the beneficial bacteria out of your tank which can happen if you had something like a bio-wheel connected to your tank and removed it, bio-balls in a wet/dry environment and removed it etc that are perfect conditions for aerobic bacteria to colonize...Highly oxygenated environments. If none of the above happened, then I'd re-test with a different kit or maybe take a sample of your water to your nearest LFS and let them test it for you as well. :)

Last edited:
Back