testing, Calcium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pnikiel

Is testing for calcium a more difficult or error-prone test than, say, testing for Alk?

I recently bought some API kits, Calc and Alk. I ran parallel tests with some other kits I had and they were all in line with eachother. My Alk was a little low, about 3.25 mequ/l or 9.1 dKh. And my Ca was hovering around 390-400. Two different brands of test kits showed this.

Just for the heck of it, I had my LFS test the water. They use exclusively NatuReef test kits for Alk and Ca. They agreed with my Alk test results but they tested twice to show me that my Ca was closer to 580!

Makes sense if Alk is low that Ca should be high. But I'm confused why 2 of the 3 test kits used (API and Salifert) showed my Ca to be real good.

And, taking the idea that low Alk would trigger high Ca, and visa versa, how safe am I in assuming that if I get my Alk up an optimal level, say about 4.0 or 11.2, that my calcium should be good at that point as well?

So I guess what I'm asking is... If I keep Alk. in check, at the right level, is Ca naturally also in check? (And if I can't keep Alk steady, then check Mag.)

Is my thinking right?

So I guess what I'm asking is... If I keep Alk. in check, at the right level, is Ca naturally also in check? (And if I can't keep Alk steady, then check Mag.)

Is my thinking right?

No they usually fall at different rates. Sometime you will get lucky but dont count on it.

Don

IMHO, your Alk is at a totally acceptable level, I wouldn't consider 9 dKH low, as typical NSW is 7 dKH, and 9 dKH is right in the middle of the recommended level for reefs. If your 2 Ca tests show 390-400 vs LFS at 580, I would lean towards your tests more than the LFS (2 out of 3, right?). 390-400 is right within the recommended level for Ca as well.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

hth,
rob

Thanks to Holygral for the link on the NatuReef test kit. It does mirror my experience completely.

You want to think that the info you get at the LFS is expert so you end up questioning yourself instead. I appreciate the guidance from all above...

thanks for the parameters. but I've found that if i let the alk. go below 10 that I'll start seeing green hair algae. since that's within the parameters I'm good with the theory. 10 or better and the tank is clean.

does that sound about right???

I like it at 9kh, and 420-440 ca. FFrankie rase up the Ca, the powder salfert is the way to go The liquid is a waste of $$. The Mg should be 1200-1400 depending on the Ca level, but it will help maintain the Kh and Ca. raise the Mg really slow!

Thanks for the advice :)
I am creeping up there slowly. I tested today and the ca++ is just over 380 now. I am doing it slowly adding ca++ for over a week now. I have been using Seachem Reef advantage calcium powder.

Dont be afraid of doubling up on the Ca its not as touchy as the buffer. Load it up! I have a 125G sps tank that i put in 2 big heaping spoons every 3 days or so. Add your buffer with you fresh water top off. you'll find there will be a consistant range of Ca and Buffer needed to be added. I would'nt be affraid of adding a bunch of ca to the sump. Get it up to like 420-450 depending on how high the KH is. Besta luck, and happy reeffing

Thanks for the advice. It went up to 400 after i dosed the tank last night so i am close now. Dose anyone have the pinpoint ca++ monitor? I have been thinking about getting that. I have the ph one and it is a pain to keep calibrated. But the Ca++ one looks like it is not as difficult.

Thanks for the advice. It went up to 400 after i dosed the tank last night so i am close now. Dose anyone have the pinpoint ca++ monitor? I have been thinking about getting that. I have the ph one and it is a pain to keep calibrated. But the Ca++ one looks like it is not as difficult.

Its worse. The dumbest thing Ive ever purchased.

Don

Yah, Donny dose to a lot of dumb things :)

Bt the way I'm not at home but in a big RV, fishing my Lake Superior North Shore Steams for TROUT ;)

Yah, Donny dose to a lot of dumb things :)

Bt the way I'm not at home but in a big RV, fishing my Lake Superior North Shore Steams for TROUT ;)

A field trip in the convalescent home short bus is not a RV fishing adventure.:)

Don

Personally I don't think a monitor is needed for Calcium and several other parameters for that matter. The more bells and whistles you have the less hands on/direct care you system receives IMO. I like good ole fashion test kits. Besides, once you figure out your systems requirements a steady, consistent dosing of Kalk will keep it stable.

A couple of you have mentioned powdered additives instead of liquid. I've been using B-Ionic's two part system. Fairly expensive to buy and to ship. Is there a powdered alternative for the two-part system? Who uses what? Does it work as well?

What you use on a daily basis really depends on your demand. Ca chloride and plain old baking soda will do the job. If you have a small or not so established reef you can get by using kalk daily.
It helps to know what your actual demand is.

Don

Back