testing, Calcium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a 125 gal tank with maybe a dozen pieces of coral and 8 fish. I drip kalk constantly through an automatic topping system (float switch). I add 40 mls of the B-Ionic Alkalinity add. and 30 mls of the B-Ionic Calcium add. each day in addition to the Kalk. The Kalk alone doesn't come close to being enough. (Can it be mixed stronger than instructed onthe bottle?)

FFrankie mentioned Seachem Advantage Calcium and Reefferman mentioned a Salifert powder.

The B-Ionic is working fine for me. But if I can save any $ by using powder, I'm there

I have a 125 gal tank with maybe a dozen pieces of coral and 8 fish. I drip kalk constantly through an automatic topping system (float switch). I add 40 mls of the B-Ionic Alkalinity add. and 30 mls of the B-Ionic Calcium add.

FFrankie mentioned Seachem Advantage Calcium and Reefferman mentioned a Salifert powder.

The B-Ionic is working fine for me. But if I can save any $ by using powder, I'm there

Anything with a label for this hobby is going to be more expensive at the current time the cheapest way would be ca chloride and baking soda. I would personally not use the stuff from seachem or salifert, they are just overpriced versions of what you can get much cheaper. Check out two part solutions. They are on the sponsers page and will have all the info right there for you.

Don

pnikiel, I think it depends if you're trying to increase or maintain and how fast your evaporation rate is. Ultimately you'll need to balance all those factors together as you know. I have mixed well above the manufacturer recommendation without a problem but don't use it to increase calcium just to maintain it. I use Calcium chloride to increase...

I have mixed well above the manufacturer recommendation without a problem but don't use it to increase calcium just to maintain it. I use Calcium chloride to increase...

Have what mixed above manufacturer recomendation?

Don

You're right, Reeferdude, I was talking about Kalk. It seems that when I mixed more powder than instructed it ends up settling out of the solution.

It's gonna settle. You don't want that stuff at the bottom anyways. My containers have drip valves about one inch above the bottom. After they're empty I throw away what's left and make new.

Kalk. I thought that's what he was talking about...

Thats what I was afraid you were going to say, but wanted to make sure. Kalk will only mix to a max of 2t per gallon of water unless you add vinegar, even then you'll only get a hair more into the solution. This is what makes it so limited. It doesnt matter if you put 2t or 10t in a gallon of water it still maxes out at about 2t per gallon.

Don

So I believe I've learned that I can't depend on kalk alone to keep things level.

So I use the liquid 2-part to keep things balanced. Works well, but costs some coin.

The powdered products available from Seachem or Salifert (or who ever else) seem to be less expensive. Do they work as well as the liquid. Would those powders be a decent substitute for the B-Ionic 2 part?

So I believe I've learned that I can't depend on kalk alone to keep things level.

So I use the liquid 2-part to keep things balanced. Works well, but costs some coin.

The powdered products available from Seachem or Salifert (or who ever else) seem to be less expensive. Do they work as well as the liquid. Would those powders be a decent substitute for the B-Ionic 2 part?

They work fine, you just have to make sure there isnt crap in them that you dont want. That why its just cheaper and easier to use the simple additives like ca chloride and baking soda.

Don

Specifically, Seachem Advantage Calcicium and Seachem Reef Builder. Are they reasonable substitutes for a liquid 2-part system?

Back