Thank You for all the help...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

immedicatdru2

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone whose posts have helped me with all the work I've done with my aquarium. It seems I've had a run of bad luck with my vho ballasts going out because of a heavy surge. Since I don't have the means of replacing my lighting I'm having to tear down what I've got and give it up. The ironic thing is that the surge protector company that had the guarentee is out of business. I've learned alot from reading forums, chatting and checking everyone's pictures they've posted. Again, thanks

Steven

Now this is not the right way to do it, but here goes. I kept my first reef alive and growing with a 500 watt halogen shop light for many months. It was very very yellow. It was very very bright, it grew lots of algae. It also kept a leather(that has been fragged so many times its not funny) , shrooms, zoos, a frogspawn that is still alive and fragge off, a deresa clam that is huge now and other stuff. They only cost like 25 bucks each. If you think that you can save up and start over it will keep you going untill you can. I got 2x250 watt MH ballasts, sockets, bulbs and built a canopy for under 400$ Here is a pic and I will be glad to share how and where if you want to know. Steve

Attachments

• closeencounters2.jpg
    closeencounters2.jpg
    37.3 KB
Ya know? I think I've found my solution... I talked to a guy about 30 minutes from home and contrary to what I've read and been told by so many people, he said that he has used every light that's been made and he has still gone back to the 40 T-12's. His most frequent setup is 5 48" 40W and 3-5 20W halogen lights. I've decided to go that route for now. He said he has had no problem growing and keeping any kind of life and he has 2MH lamps for his 300 Gal. one compact and the rest are standard flour. The only reason I trust his words is that his store has been in business for 48 years and he's been running it successfuly since 1964. I think he has 12 - 14 saltwater tanks, the smallest a 55. Besides, I can't give it up now.. the live rock my wife got for my birthday has so many sponges, feather dusters and a sponge brittle starfish (all came with the rock @ $3.85/lb). I'm going to give those lights a try and see how they work. I have a DIY sump, a DIY overflow, DIY Birch wood canopy with room for 6 flour. lights on a 55 gal that was really cheap 'cause of a chip, 40 lbs. priemium base rock (b-day), another 13 lbs. of Fiji. 12 hermits and 7 snails. Two 1/2 months in. I haven't made it to get anything else. We'll just have to see where it goes. Thanks for the words.. this tank is supposed to be good therapy and now's when I need it.

Steven

Hang in there Steven, the rewards are worth it. I don't think there is anything easy about any hobby, or in my case obsession. I try not to think to much about all the mistakes and wasted money I have spent on this hooby, I just like to look at the stuff grow and the fish swim. It did take awhile to even get to this point, and I'm not even near to being an advanced hobbiest yet.

Back