The average nitrate level?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My nitrates are at zero. I just use an algae turf scrubber. There are lots of different ways to control them though

+1 Im testing my water this weekend...1st time in a while! LOL
U want reefs to have trates 0-5...more so 0!
Fowlr i think its like 20 max...im not a fowlr guy though!

without nitrate there is no life or growth, the amount of life and growth will alter testing results, a massive algae outbreak will consume nitrate to the point of a 0 reading as does the use of an algae scrubber (a controlled massive algae outbreak)
A "reef" is really an algae reef, what we try to keep is an English garden lol, no weeds and very little ground cover,just the pretties. So nitrate is subjective to condition, testing is only an indication, the overall tank condition is a better indicator, you can have excessive nitrates without issue but add P04 and the trouble begins

Once matured, I read zero nitrates with no refugium. I maintained this through weekly water changes (10-15%), bare bottom tank with a lot of flow to keep waste/detritus in suspension to either be filtered out or used up by corals, a protein skimmer, and keeping a very small bioload without over-feeding the tank. :)

Once matured, I read zero nitrates with no refugium. I maintained this through weekly water changes (10-15%), bare bottom tank with a lot of flow to keep waste/detritus in suspension to either be filtered out or used up by corals, a protein skimmer, and keeping a very small bioload without over-feeding the tank. :)

This is the ideal solution for people with control and a lack of hoarding problems lol, the thing about reeftanks that makes it so interesting is the number of ways people arrive at a way that works for them

Back