The building of the beast.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

:shock: Mike,
Your tank is absolutley incredible, I would hope to see it one day. I have so much more to learn your accomplishments are truely awe inspiring. More updated pictures please!!!!!!!:eek:

-Jason

i couldnt tell by the post dates how long from setup to complete reef. it looks like an overnighter in the posts. also how many gallons is the main display? i love the clams and anemone cove tucked away in this amazing reef!

can you post new pics of your tank. my gf and a i are talking about doing a 500gl system. your tank is really nice.

Bump-ity-bump!! :D

I saw you mention something about your tank on a thread today (or was it yesterday :confused: ). Anyways, do you still have this beast running or a different tank??

Well about a year or so ago, the tank was in need of a plumbing overhaul, the valves were starting to leak, a couple pmps died and so on. So I took everything out, sent the fish and corals to a couple of friends, took all the rock and decided to cook it. ANyway I redid everything nad di a final fill with fresh water to do a leak check. Well filled her up and all was purring like a kitten as I stood their with a grin ;)

Well I figured lets drain it and start rock scaping!! I took three steps to the door and heard a POP and then that evil water draining sound. The very corner of the L popped a seam and water was pouring out!! I through myself at the tank and managed to squezze the seem closed to where it was barely dripping...and so I stood their....and stood their...Nobody was home!!
After about a 1/2 hour of standing their like an idiot. I decided I had to make a run to the shed and grag some buckets and let me tell you the though of letting that thing spew water while I ran was not fun. Anyway I did so and it put about 50 gallons on the floor in the time it took me. From their I had a bucket where I unsqueezed the tank and allowed it to fill and then a 10 foot water dump through the door and outside. After about 600 gallons at 4 gallons at a time the tanks was drained and so was I !!!:evil:

Anyway I was lucky nothing was in it, but no chance at repair. From their the good old boys at Barrier took care of me and hooked me with a real good price on a 8 foot starfire, cudios to them they took care of me very well. Right now the tank is up and running and has some frags and fish in it but nothing to write home about, but soon.

Thats the story

Wow! Bummer! I once flooded our place with tank water and I think that was the most I've ever heard my wife curse :shock: I was the dumb dumb trying out a new return nozzle. I decided I would put the output half way down my 90 gal and after I watched the flow it put out, I turned off the pump and ran out to help a friend with something. I got a call about 20 mins later from my wife saying water was going out the $$%&% door! I said impossible unless the tank broke a seal. Flew back home to find out that the return nozzle I made up, I didn't drill a hole to break the siphon so I back siphoned half of my tank on the floor :oops: I heard everything from get this %*^*&^& out of my house to f-ing this and f-ing that :shock: It was quite entertaining though. I find stuff like that funny :lol:

Looking forward to some updates on the new tank when you get ready :)

Back