The building of the beast.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Soon Craig soon, lol

Dr I went with straight 20K's. three 400 watt 20k's mixed with two 250 watt hqi 20k's across the front and then 2 x 250 watt hqi's 10K's over the far side (anenome fields)

mike

in person the tank is 100 times more imposing and incredible to look at. Seeing that vlamingi lumber over to mike as he hand-feeds him is GREAT!!! that and the GSM clown that he fears ;)

I thought I would put this thread together to kinda document the work invloved and the manuy stage of building this tank. hope u enjoy.

well this new tank starts with the old tank so this is it perfectly good 300 gallon SPS reef

Now we all no what to do with a perfectly good SPS reef. We tear it down to build a bigger one

DSCN0796.JPG

http://mojoreefs.homestead.com/files/DSCN0794.JPG[IMG]
then I started the planing stage
[IMG]http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/540/724mot-med.jpg[IMG]
Then we get serious:idea:
[IMG]http://mojoreef.thereeftank.com/DSCN0800.JPG
DSCN0803.JPG

DSCN0802.JPG
Very impressive.... Interested in sharing/exchanging a bit of experience? I am in the process of set up plumbing & filtration for a 20,000 litre tank in Bali? A bit befuddled by it all not the least because despite the abundance of available stock, we're a bit light on the grounf here when it comes to sourcing equipment, material and know how.

Hey Barry 20000L's is a big project for sure. I think you would have to take a much different approach then most big tanks. Is the tank built yet?? do you have the source to do that over thier??

Mike

Bali Tank

mojoreef said:
Hey Barry 20000L's is a big project for sure. I think you would have to take a much different approach then most big tanks. Is the tank built yet?? do you have the source to do that over thier??

Mike

I'm curious what you mean by a 'different approach from most big tanks?' I certainly would like to do things differently from the ususal systems here in Indonesia which are generally based on water and stock replacement as opposed to any attempt at establishing a self sustainging system.

The tank is already built out of reinforced and sealed concrete. The 30mm tempered glass viewing panel (yes glass) is ready to install. There is a room on either side for equipment and a rather shallow sump underneath running the 6 metre lengthof the aquarium.

The tank is situated with a full northern exposure with a green house type structure on the top to allow maximum exposure to natural sunlight. Artificial lighting is with 6 - 400 watt MH units and secondary flouresent lighting.

I am now trying to set up plumbing and filtration. The basic plan is to rely on large amounts of live sand and live rock as the primary means of filtration. The secondary filtration will use an over flow running into the sump. The sump may or may not contain 'mechanical filtration' media. (thoughts?) From the sump the we plan to pump the water variously through:

1. a large tank containing activated carbon; and
2. a second large tank containing active ziolit and
3. a combined UV/Ozone sterilzer, as needed.

Most of the time, however, the only secondary filtration will be water will through a protien skimmer, from which the water will be injected back into the tank through three water jets on each side of the tank on an alternating timer.

Assuming tghis is all in principle allright, I am somewhat baffled by the question of how to proceed with Protien skimmer(s). Info on the commercially available skimmers (eg Deltec) imply that the tanks contents should be cycled every 3 hours while other information suggests every 8 hours is adequate. The implications for selecting/building skimmers are obviously quite different. Any thoughts?

[/list]

That set up looks absolutly incredible, i would love to see it some day. If i were you, i'd charge admission.

Ok some coral shots and stuff. Got to keep Craig going till next year, lol

nice bright green table
bright_gr_table.jpg

red table...still jsut a baby..about 5 inches across, but unreal color
redtable.jpg

the big shusie..about 14 to 16 across
shushanoi.jpg

heres a loripes, it has red tips and blue talks, but I cant get the pic to show it. about a 12 incher
loripes.jpg

Back