The Cycle, what happens?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Detri

I was just wondering, while the tank on the cycle proccess. What happens to the rock? Does anything that maybe living in it die? I noticed in some of the rock I have there are Things I don't want apperiantly. Aiptasia sp. Are they really that bad?

If so Is there an easy way to get rid o it, since my tank is in cycle? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Yes Aiptasia is really that bad. They can spread very fast and sting corals and anything they come into contact with. If you do a search for them in this forum you will find many people trying to rid their tanks of them. Do a search for remedies, but I like Joe's Jucie if there are only a few. I would treat the ones you see, and since you can, flip the rocks over and see if there are any more that come out.

Ken

Well, the whole purpose of the cycling process is, for one, to allow bacterial colonies to develop. During this time as the LR experiences die off, ammonia will rise and then start to drop off as nitrite starts to rise and then eventually drops off. Once there are no traces of ammonia and nitrite in the tank, then it is said to have been cycled. This usually takes about 6-8 weeks in most cases, but varies depending how much die-off you experience. So the answer to your question if anything in the rock dies, is usually yes (that is if the rock you received isn't already completely cured) When you buy LR and it is truely cured (which I've honestly never seen) and doesn't experience any die-off, you will usually have to add a few hardy damsels or feed the tank, to create some sort of bacteria to cycle your tank and develop these same bacterial colonies. A good thing to do when cycling is to test the waters parameters before adding the rock (ammonia, nitrite and if you want nitrate) and then test it every couple of days to see if you see an increase in any of these. If you do, then your rock is experiencing die-off and you are well on your way to cycling the tank. And like I said, once these parameters (ammonia and nitrite) return to 0, then your tank should be safe to say is cycled.

Thanks, I did read most of that on other sites before I found this site. I will go find some info about the remedies. I am just not 100% sure if thats what they are. The people I know around here say it sounds like it. But they don't really look like them from the pics I have seen here on this site. They are REALLY to small to tell I guess. To me they are about the same color as the pics. But look like a wind blown umbrella. Fuzzy more than anything. and scoot in and out of the tiny holes in the rock.

Definitely get rid of of the Aiptasias and right now is the perfect time since your cycling your tank. Use Joe's Juice, make sure you get them right in the center and repeat treatment as needed. Good luck

Just to let you all know, I decided that when my cycle is done and the tank seems balanced chemically, tempature is right and I feel comfortable adding livestock. I am going to add a peppermint shrimp or 2 to the tank and a couple cleaner shrimp. Hopefully this will promote a good environment from the start. Well off to research the peppermint shrimp to learn care and needs. Thanks guys you all ROCK!

Good luck Detri!! One thing for sure is if the shrimps do well when you add them, that would mean your water is A O.K as they are more sensative to water conditions than most fish are. I think another good sign would be when they shed their skin (atleast that's what I've heard from The LFS here...They have been known to be dodo's at times though (LOL)).

LOL yea, Talking to the locals here. They said the same thing. A few of them actually recommended I start with shrimp. They are less expensive for one, and if you can watch them carefully you can sometimes iron out the quirks before they are harmed. I really don't like to buy and use live stock as test subjects. I learned that from my Cichlids. My last one lived for a long time. It was actually one of the first fish I added to the tank. I still run it as a plant only tank now. I may add fish again later. But, I want to spend my time on my new saltwater. I love the learning curve :)

I know what you mean...Freshwater is not really a challenge anymore, that's why I went salt. I tried Discus because I heard they were difficult to keep especially using gravel, plants, and a wet/dry, but they ate out of my hands and layed eggs twice!
Saltwater systems are just by far the coolest and there is always something new to learn. Glad you are enjoying it and I hope all works out well for you Detri.

Well, I decided to put a long delay on coral for now. Mostly because I want to add slowly. Make sure what I add live and strive. I will how ever add mushrooms to my tank sooner than later, after I get my fish and inverts in. Going to use you as my mentor. :D A fish only with a little more live rock than you, I think is a good way to start.

My biggest tank has been 35g freshwater. I have kept all kinds of fish, but Cichlids were my only true love of freshwater. I was also able to sell alot of offspring to my favorite freshwater supply store. Needless to say they loved me for my cheap prices lol. Mostly trade off for supplies I needed. I never used expensive or top of the line gear for filtration and flow. I used to make my own media for my tanks. The aquaclear and pengiun hangons work wonders if you know how to use them. I am stubborn to. Although I am considering a new protien skimmer for my tank right now. I am only now figureing out how important it is to have a good one.

Last edited:
Who says I don't have one aleady :) Kidding, Your Ideas for your own tank, as well as how helpful you have been, have been the biggest reason I have changed my mind of how I want to start out.

Back