The durso stand pipe gurgle?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dieselbreath

Lost in the salty water
Anybody know why it is that my durso standpipes have the gurgle? The tank is just temporarily setup, and I know that one end is lower than the other would that be the reason that my water level goes up and down inside the overflow box, which is where the gurgling is coming from.

Simple question that I may have answered but still would like to know before the tank gets moved inside and filled with salt water.

Thanks for the info,

Jason (Newbie)

Did you build it to durso's specs? Do you have a hole in the top? Do you have any pictures?

You have to drill a hole on the top. If you already did, then you need to make the hole bigger. Just keep going up in hole size until you get it right. It's a pain, but you'll be happy at the end. :)

Jeff

It does have a hole in the top along with a piece of air tube. I have tried with or without the air tube and also at different amounts of air tube pushed thru the hole and into the stand pipe.

I would download pics but it always says they are to big to do so.

As far as I know they were proffessionally built and installed by a tank manufacture.

Jason

flugelnuss said:
You have to drill a hole on the top. If you already did, then you need to make the hole bigger. Just keep going up in hole size until you get it right. It's a pain, but you'll be happy at the end. :)

Jeff

thanks jeff i had the same problem with the gurgling to my sump on the new setup i have and mind was brought.i went and push in a flat head screw driver into the breather hole and somewhat made the hole bigger and all that noise went away:D

thanks again jeff
tony

Dieselbreath said:
It does have a hole in the top along with a piece of air tube. I have tried with or without the air tube and also at different amounts of air tube pushed thru the hole and into the stand pipe.

I would download pics but it always says they are to big to do so.

As far as I know they were proffessionally built and installed by a tank manufacture.

Jason

Strange that it would still have the flushing effect. What size piping are you using? I know I read on the website that you should use 1 1/4", then reduce it to 1" into the bulkhead drain from the overflow, and any other sizes bigger or smaller may not work as well.

Jeff

tony2005 said:
thanks jeff i had the same problem with the gurgling to my sump on the new setup i have and mind was brought.i went and push in a flat head screw driver into the breather hole and somewhat made the hole bigger and all that noise went away:D

thanks again jeff
tony

That's cool Tony. I'm happy to help. I still have a very faint whistling noise coming from my hole, but you really can't hear it unless you are really listening for it. I'm happy with the way the Durso turned out. Although, I am still battling microbubbles! One day I will conquer them!

Jeff

It was built with 1" class 200. Along with a 1" bulkhead. I will continue to clean out the overflow area and fill it back up and start playing with adjustments this weekend. Sunday will be moving the tank into place.

Jason

Here is an exerpt from www.dursostandpipes.com:

If you have a 1 inch bulkhead the standpipe needs to be larger than the bulkhead to work correctly. I get a lot of e-mail questions on why this is. Honestly, I'm not sure. Typically if you use 1 inch PVC pipe on a 1 inch bulkhead you get poor results. (Some exceptions with smaller low flow tanks.) Take my word on it and use 1¼ inch PVC pipe. For very large tanks with large return pumps however, there does not seem to be any need to oversize the standpipe for larger bulkheads such as 1.5 inch. Larger bulkheads can use PVC pipe & fittings that match the size of the bulkhead. (I consider tanks in the 350 gallon and up good candidates for 1.5 inch bulkheads).

This really could be your problem if you are using 1" diameter pipe.

Jeff

I made my own design durso pipes ill post pic's soon.
I made the holes on top to the size of a staw and i use the straw as a kind of flow controler. I can move it in and out controling the flow and sound. Works great.

I prefer the Stockman, I found it easier to make & easier to make quieter.
I'd post it but it is copyrighted, just go the the link above & look for stockman link.

Well here a question for those of you that use the Stockman standpipe. How did you make it and is it quiet. I purchased all the stuff to upgrade my durso to the proper size but the original tank builder did not make the overflow boxes big enough to handle the 1.25" pipes along with the .75" returns. So that leaves me very few options.

Anyone have some input?

DB

This is what the guy said on his website.

The HGB is largely a derivative of the SS, which is why it rather looks like the SS. However, the changes make a significant noise reduction for certain flow rates. Furthermore, my design has been well tested by myself and three other reef tank owners over the course of the last three years in five different reef tanks without a single problem. In fact I am using the HGB in my current 120 gallon tank in the internal overflows. So, without further ado, click below to see how to build the HGB.

Yeah, I read that, but from looking at his instructions its identical (or nearly so) to what I'm running on my tank. Can't for the life of my figure out what those differences are.

-Dylan

Back