The Frag Cube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jamiehill

Utini
Well, my frag tank is now up and running. The tank is 24x24x12, and is glass with the oakish trim. I picked the tank up from Nelson a couple months back and have been working on the stand and the plumbing since then. Work has been incredibly busy, so I have had to carve out some time wherever possible to work on this.

Beneath the tank is a small sump that is connected by 1.5" PVC over to my main tank's sump. I added ball valves so that I could take this system off line if necessary in order to quarantine or treatment.

I am using a 24" T5 sundial fixture that is 4 bulbs. With as shallow as this tank is, it should be adequate lighting for just about anything I am planning on putting in the tank. I didn't really feel like adding halides over the tank.

For flow, I have the return pump pushing about 800gph, a Tunze 6025 and a Koralia 3. Add it all up and there is over 2200gph flowing through a 30 gallon tank. The water movement is exactly what I was looking for.

I don't have a skimmer for this system yet. I am probably going to pick up a small HOB skimmer to use when I need to separate the systems, but for now it isn't too necessary.

I am going to take some better pictures later, but I was too tired last night and the area is still a mess from the setup.

Here are a couple pictures I took with my phone.

photo-37.jpg

photo-38.jpg

Corals will be in the tank as soon as I build some frag racks. I have some scrap acrylic I am going to use. I don't like eggcrate.

Back