The grandson strikes again

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
Well the last two days my tank inhabitants clams and lps have looked out of sorts. I figured a water change was in order and found a hand full of mostly disolved pennies and other change in my sump. Clams are dieing quick a 8" in golden max is gone. The 18" gigas I'm sure will be done by morning along with a 10" squamosa. For some reason the 10" durasa looks pretty good and all the fish look fine. My guess is that I will have to get a load of new LR and just plain start over we'll see what happens. Sometimes this hobby is a real drag.

Don

:(

Sorry to hear that. I have already accepted the fact that my 15 month old son will kill one or both of my tanks at some point. That way when it happens it wont be so upsetting *ya right*

Ive pulled a myriad of things out of one of the sumps that he can get to if he tosses stuff around the corner.......nothing bad or long enough yet though....

Sorry to hear that Don :doubt: Glad you have a pretty positive outlook on things though. Hope everything works out well and you don't have to start over from scratch.

Best wishes:)

Thanks, I gusess kids will be kids. My big clam is almost gone as of this morning. When I finish my new stand I think I'll put some sort of lock on the doors.

Don

Thanks, I gusess kids will be kids. My big clam is almost gone as of this morning. When I finish my new stand I think I'll put some sort of lock on the doors.

Don

:(... This is a good idea though, Especially after something like this.

Don is there anyone close that can hold your animals until this is handled? Damn! There is a add with someone tearing down a tank in Seattle with Live Rock. I believe 200lbs worth. Give me a call if there is something I have you need. I have extra a extra sump, charcoal, Diatom filter, a 50 gallon breeder sitting around. My brother in law lives by ya.
send me a email if you need something.
[email protected]
your friend,
Ed

Very sorry to hear about the losses.
Unfortunately, kid truely will be kids, curious and sometimes just spiteful. My four year old decided to clean my 30G with windex a while ago. On the inside. Luckily, in my case there were no losses.

I figure its just a matter of years before I make a post similar to this one.:( You cant be a watch dog all of the time.

Don, very sorry to hear. I once lost an entire fish only tank in the 1980s due to a penny. Took months to figure it out. Mine was from a neighbor. No amount of equipment can prevent a disaster if your time is up.

I have room in my tank for awhile if it helps...

I think I'm just going to do a water change or two. The fish dont seem to be affected just the clams are having issues along with the lps. The tank is comming apart in a few months anyways so I guess I'll just get new rock when I put it on the new stand. May have to work alittle faster on the stand and get some rock cooking. On the bright side it will be like getting a new tank.

Don

I have had two similar incidents...

Once my pager went missing...did not discover it until after a major tank die-off and was cleaning tank (3yr old daughter
furious3.gif
) --- corrouded batteries are not good for a tank...

Second Cu problem was a copper sleave/fitting in a cheap fresh water pond pump! --- not a way to save money. (or time, or grief)
furious3.gif

Cu won't harm fish...but everything else at great risk...get it out of there fast...100% water change now...more after.

The best and fasted Cu remover I found was Poly-Bio-Marine "Poly Filter" --- order some now overnight mail --- worth the expense in saving your inverts and rock.

I have had much painful and expensive experience in this.

Scott

Man Don, I'm sorry about the loss of your animals! Messes and leaks can be cleaned up, but it always hits me the hardest when animals in my care are in trouble.

Good luck with saving what's left!

Josh

Wow, Don...I can only dream of having someday what was killed in your tank. I truly feel for you. It sounds like you have an extra layer of potential danger to overcome when it comes to maintaining stability. We all have a layer of potential choas that we plan for, but I just can't imagine trying to account for the creativity of a child.

I have had two similar incidents...

The best and fasted Cu remover I found was Poly-Bio-Marine "Poly Filter" --- order some now overnight mail --- worth the expense in saving your inverts and rock.

I have had much painful and expensive experience in this.

Scott

:)This is what worked for my Buddy also. He had a powerhead melt inside his tank. It dumped lots of Copper. Thanks Scott for reminder.:)

Thanks folks. My guess is he saw coins in the water somewhere at disney world last week or he figured out that all those canadian pennies I give him are worthless. Canadian pennies were mostly copper all the way up to 1996 and U.S. until 81 and 82.

Don

Well, hopefully we can all learn a little from this. How long did it take for the pennies to dissolve? In other words, if this were to happen to one of us (and I have a 3 year-old) how long before significant levels of copper appeared in the water?

Josh

P.S. I am still in the planning stages for a tank set-up to get back into the hobby. I was starting to feel paranoid for wanting a lock on the door to the tank room. It just got put back in the plans!

Well, hopefully we can all learn a little from this. How long did it take for the pennies to dissolve? In other words, if this were to happen to one of us (and I have a 3 year-old) how long before significant levels of copper appeared in the water?

Josh

P.S. I am still in the planning stages for a tank set-up to get back into the hobby. I was starting to feel paranoid for wanting a lock on the door to the tank room. It just got put back in the plans!

They either went in on monday or it was a week ago I dont know which. He was in dinsey world all last week. Wish I could say for sure. I dont think Ive ever seen clams die so fast.

Don

Back