The hottest blue stag?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bricky

Just thought I would share a piece that I got from Barrier Reef Aquariums. I was hoping someone could help me I.D. it also. Anybody else have a schweet blue stag? Oh, thanks Tim and Cy.

We have done extensive research and it is definitely not A. loisette or gomezi though with all the erroneous online id's its easy to get confused (we've been misguided plenty of times). :) We are pretty sure it is A. elseyi and we have seen colonies and pictures of it showing many different color morphs. So far this seems to be the most intense blue. I have seen pictures where the corallites turn green and also where the whole body turns electric baby blue and the corallites stay dark blue. It will be fun to experiment with this species and see what the different kelvin/wattages produce color wise. If anyone has definitive ID on this piece please please please let us know!

I've got it in a quarantine tank right now, so hopefully that doesn't kill it and give us the opportunity to do that.

looks like the tyree limited edition "steve elias blue stag" to me,
as for actual name? too many damn stags....i think we'd need a dead piece of the skeleton and the vernon acro book:)

The Tyree LE is the A. loisette. If the pics at Frag Farmer of Tyree's are accurate then I'm pretty sure this is a different acro. The only hang up is the corallites near the base of the mother colony (not shown in Bricky's photos) look more like the loisette but other than at the base they don't resemble it at all. They are much more spaced and don't scale or protrude (like my scientific terms?) :) like the Tyree coral. Where's Veron when we need him? I'm about to sacrifice some to compare the skeleton to photos.

Burned by the inaccurate ID's from multiple online retailers again. After I remove my foot from my mouth I want to give kudos to skimerwhisperer and kingfish. I finally dug my Veron books out of storage and sure enough this stag is A. loisetteae. Thanks guys! Enjoy your frag Matt.

Here a frag I just got from Upscales.........(another reason for you northeners to come to our BBQ),............hit our LFS'.

fishtank8-12-06004.jpg

Blurry, but oh so blue. Can't wait to see a pic here after a couple months growth.

Let's see some more blue stags guys.

Back