the ideal sump ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

ideally what should i look for in sump water flow?mine right is just effortlessly going through the sump,just breaking the water in the middle section

Many people consider 3 to 5 times the tank volume something to shoot for.
I use to like to try and get as much flow from a return pump as the overflow could handle.
But I found that this leads to higher evaporation rates, micro bubbles back in the tank and other problems.
Slower flow allows better contact time in refugiums and skimmers.

Many people consider 3 to 5 times the tank volume something to shoot for.
I use to like to try and get as much flow from a return pump as the overflow could handle.
But I found that this leads to higher evaporation rates, micro bubbles back in the tank and other problems.
Slower flow allows better contact time in refugiums and skimmers.
cool thanks, that bypass i put on the return pump to dump back into the sump, seems to have done the job on the larger pump

cool thanks, that bypass i put on the return pump to dump back into the sump, seems to have done the job on the larger pump

I would consider that a temporary fix, and start watching the used equipment section for a smaller pump that uses less electricity and reduces the clutter of tubes, pipes and wires that we end up under our tanks.

just a thought.:)

I would consider that a temporary fix, and start watching the used equipment section for a smaller pump that uses less electricity and reduces the clutter of tubes, pipes and wires that we end up under our tanks.

just a thought.:)
i thought of that, it seems it can be never ending, quest:)

Back