the new tank for christmas!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

On your stand you said hieght wasn't inportant but it is. If your tank sits low then you have to bend down to veiw it all the time. I have my tank sitting high up so you can just walk up and see everything , and a stool to access the top and get your hands wet. JMO.....but much easier on veiwing.

Another thing I did on a stand was build the frame and top the hiegth you want and then I used acrylic cut to size to make panels. I painted the back side of the panels Black with spray paint , then attatched it (paint side in) to the frame woth velcor, or you can use magnets. Then you have a very shinny surface that can be cleaned without scrathing hte paint. And it you do scratch it you can buff it out. the panels remove really easy for full access to the refuge , sump and all plumbing. You can cut holes for fans or power cords , what ever really easy. Just something that I did, looks nice and clean and you can use different color paint if you don't want it black. Just my $.02

Last edited:
I think we figured out what we are going to do for the stand. I spoke with Rob at Red C and he is going to build it for me and then after we get all the hardware in place we will add a "skin" to the wood stand so that it looks pretty too... if you haven't been down to red c I highly recommend stopping by. he has given me some great pointers through the first part of this 200 gallon build.

So I am trying to upload a picture to this of the sump/tank design and when I select the picture it doesn't do anything... and there is nothing to click on... anyone else have this issue? or is there another way to post a picture here?

Attachments

• picture of tank and sump.jpg
    picture of tank and sump.jpg
    86.6 KB
here are the general dimensions:

Overall height: 75.5 inches (tank is 36" tall)
Overall width: 60 inches
Return distance: 75.5 inches
Baffles: 12”x13” (3 of these) and 13x13 (one of these)

Sump:
Protein Skimmer area: 15” wide
Baffles 1 inch apart
Refugium: 16” wide
4.5” of substrate
Return Pump area: 11” wide

What size return pump are you going to use. You may want 1 1/2'' between your baffels, if you plan on a high flow sump.
What is the footprint size of your skimmer,? and what is the working height of the skimmer, most are 8-10'' setting in the water.
How much room have you left in the return sec. for backwash when the pump shuts off?

I have not decided on the return pump but I'm assuming I will need a high flow sump due to the size of the tank. 1.5 inch would work perfect. I have not picked up a skimmer yet so I'm flexible there. I just pulled up a few different ones and found about an average size for the footprint of the skimmer. I'm not sure how much room that would leave in the return section for backwash. I would think 15g or so maybe 10g.

back to the return pump, what type of GPH should I be looking for? I know it has to climb about 6 feet up and I would like it to split and enter the tank on both sides.

IMO I would get a pump that will putout about 1200 to 1500 gph at 5-6' of head. If that is too much you can dial it back with a ball/gate valve at the exit of the pump.
Some may say you want more flow. If you are not relying on your return for overall flow in the tank, then 1200-1500 should be plenty to run thru your sump,again JMO

Back