The Noob looking in! From set up to first fish.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Detri

In september 2005 I recieved a small yet worthy 35g tank. Equipment included, Pengiun 170 Hang on filter, Seaclone 150 Skimmer (hang on the back), 2x45w flourecent lights, Aragonite Reef sand, Salt mix, air pump hose and extras for the pump and one 1.5lbs live rock+2 lbs of live sand to add to the sand bed from an established tank. I added my own Hang on filter (Aquaclear 300) Later 2 pieces of LR about 2 pounds each were donated to my cause. After filling the tank and leaving it to cycle I started reading and learning about the species I wanted to add to my small piece of wild life in my living room.

I realized that what I had would only be sufficient to complete the cycle. I had found a person ready to sell live rock pre-cured for $4/lbs (thats $2-4 cheaper than most LFS stores here in Canada) I jumped at the chance to get it. I filled my tank with it set it up nicely. From day 1 things didn't look right. I had scraped a bit if the algae off one of the pieces and it was a bright grey color, the color of concrete. As the tank finished cycleing, took about 3-4 weeks total. Parameters were Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 12. I didn't have any other test kits at the time. But the Live rock still bugged me. I had a friend come over and have a look in my tank. He clarified my worst thoughts. It was concrete! And not the Aaragrocrete you see made all the time. It was chuncks of concrete with stone gravel in it to make it look chunky. I must admit it was covered in a greenish red algae and the smooth parts looked like coraline covered rock. I imediately took it out of my tank drove over to the person that sold it to me. All he told me was it was my fault for not knowing what I had bought, he had never told me it was real live rock, just cured rock. After argueing for so long I gave up. For 120 bucks it wasn't worth the effort to me. I had better things to do. So I took the rock from my trunk and dropped it on his flowers and left. I am now left with about 6 lbs of small chunks of Live rock.

My fault? YES and no. I should have tried better to research the subject and got familuar with them before I jumped into it. Keep in mind, in freshwater, its not such a big deal to add almost anything to the tank. (ALMOST) But, on the "no" side, this person shouldn't have even implied that he was selling what he was selling. It may very well have been ok to use, but, I can't take that chance. I don't know how the ecosystem within my tank works yet. I may not have been so upset if they were properly made in the first place. Now I am left with a vurtually empty tank. Again. I never took pics of the rocks in my tank because I was kind of scared to find out they weren't real and the emberacement of showing a great looking scape with FAKE rocks to those of you here at Reef Frontiers, who have such beautiful tanks and live stock.

Well, after that, nothing can be embaracing anymore. The more I know the better. At the end of this thread are going to be tank pics of the tank as it stands today.

Ok that said, lets get on with the new found descovery, as it's ment to be when you are new! Time to have fun.

As a new hobbiest, what is the first thing you should to BEFORE you fill the tank with water?

Buy a book!!! Lets start with these ones, they are recomended reading and are very helpful.

Authored by Hans A. Baensch and Helmut Debelius, "Baensch Marine Atlas 1: The Joint Aquarium Care of Invertebrates and Tropical Marine Fishes"

Authored by Dr. Harry Erhardt and Dr. Horst Moosleitner, "Baensch Marine Atlas 2" picks up where "Atlas 1" leaves off.

by Robert M. Fenner, author of "A Fishwatchers guide to the Saltwater Aquarium Fishes of the World": Robert Fenner rolls his many years of experience into this book and simplictically unravels the process of planning, setting up, stocking, and managing a saltwater system for beginning to intermediate hobbyists. Starting with the basics on "What is a fish?", he then delves into the scientific background and expert-level secrets to being a wiser consumer, better caretaker, and more successful marine aquarium keeper.

Those are just a few, but a great starter.

Check out the internet! Great sites to start with are:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com

http://saltaquarium.about.com

A post to links here in these boards.

The first link you can find just about everything you need to know there. The last link is a link to more links ( I know I am to lazy to add them myself) They will take you to an enormous amount of information.

Local Fish Stores (LFS). I am not going to speek for any one store at all. They are all diffrent and have experience in diffrent fields. Some sell for this hobby to have a wider range, others sell for this hobby because its what they know and can give you the best of everything. Research your local stores and find out what they know, how they feed, what additives that are used (copper, vitamines etc.) Find out if they quaranteen there livestock before selling, in my mind this is important information to know about your store. Keep in mind alot of "employees" in the stores will lie about what they do or don't do. So ASK ALOT of questions. Ask diffrent people in the store. You may find one person you like to deal with, even if the store doesn't have great reputation.

NEVER pay full price for equipment, shop around. There are always better deals around. Remember, you don't need it today if you can get a better price tomorrow. Reef frontiers alone has alot of great sponsors. Use them go to ALL the sponsor sites ask the reputation of them here on the boards. Go to the sponsor forums section of Reef Frontiers, ask alot of questions. if the sponsor is worth while they will answer any and all questions you ask. No matter how meaningless they may seem to them or other experienced people. This hobby is expensive, doing it right the first time will save you money and aggrivation.

Sponsors

Sponsor Forms

Equipment: I am not qualified to talk about this. I don't have what I "should have for a truely healthy and thriving aquarium. Use the search option on this site to find threads of equipment you would like to use. Find out reviews of the items you want and can afford. See if there are alternatives to the equipment you want. My opinion, buy the best that you can afford the first time. Buy equipment you can use if you decide to upgrade to a larger tank in the future. Then it will just be a matter of plug and play. Find out how and why certain equipment works, what it does and the most effective way to use them.

Now your ready to fill your tank! No wait a min. Do you know what a "Cycle" is? Well go back to all the reffrences given to you in this post. Find out what it is, why you need to let it happen and the importance of it. I'm not going to tell you, read about it.

Do you want a sand bottom? Or do you want a bare bottom? All the reffrences I gave you will give good information on both. This is something you need to decide now. Changing your mind later from a sand bottom to a bare bottom is a HUGE pain in your butt. I plan to change it, and am dreading the day I finish my stand, I have to empty the tank to get onto the new stand anyway. but it doubles the work for that day.

Ok lets fill the tank now. Did you get your live rock? Good. Lets start with "Aquascape" We need to come up with a design to create the best flow in your tank as possible. We want a nice design to be able to add shelves for new speciemins. Hiding places for your fish, water movement to keep Nitrates and ditritus in check. And eye appeal. Look through the members gallery for ideas and inspiration This is best done while the tank is empty. Its dryer, easy to work with and can be set up and taken down easier this way, Check out this thread, truely inspiring Now add your water. Do you know what the proper salanity is? Well if you don't you didn't do your homework. Go back to the refrences again and look it up. I even knew this before I started.

Ok so you filled your tank, now what? Let it CYCLE. You may think this is boreing and you need to fiddle with your tank and add some livestock, DON'T. Just let it be, in a couple weeks, believe it or not, there are going to be some major changes in your tank. Study your tank, watch as it evolves, you will be suprised to see whats in there and what takes place. short of scraping the glass/acrylic on the viewable sides to see whats going on, LEAVE IT ALONE. Test for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. stay in tune with your tank during this time, so you know where you are in the cycle. Have fun with it, find something new, try to identify it. Its going to get messy in there but its part of entire experience.

So your cycle is done and your parameters are at the appropriate levels? Time to clean the tank to add lots of livestock right? Nope think again. Lets clean a little, Filters, skimmers, powerheads, viewing area's and makesure everything is working good. Now you can add a decent clean up crew! Snails are a great start, add as many as you are comfortable with, use good judgement here. You don't want to pile a ton of them in there and over crowd your tank. But, you want to add enough that will take care of your tank over the next few weeks. Want Hermits or crabs? Well make sure you lok for information about them read ALL pros and cons to owning them. Keeping in mind the fish you may want to add to your tank in the future. Will they take food from your fish you want? Will they eat livestock you want to keep? Can your system support hermits? They have a varacious appitite and should be treated as scavengers. But nice to look at when your just starting. I have them and like them so far. But, i only have 2 and thats all i plan to ever have in any tank i own. Plan ahead. its easier to add to your tank than it is to take away.

So a few weeks have past since you added your clean up crew huh? Hows the tank looking? How are the perameters? Lets look at some fish for the first timers. In my HIGH Opinion. Clowns are a great starter fish, (Ocellaris aka False clowns) They are energetic fun to watch and very easy to get used to your tank. Mine in just a few days ate from my fingers. Other options are Chromis or damsels. These are all hearty fish and can be very beautiful.

Take the time to look for information on any fish or livestock you want to add to your tank. Find out what they eat naturally, water conditions, what they like in there surroundings good alternate foods to have. Variety is key to any and all type of aquarium fish. They will get nutrients they need from diffrent foods. Knowing what they eat in the wild will help you with this. Read all you can before and after you buy your fish. Buy as little as possible at one time to make adjustments easier. 1 - 2 fish at a time is plenty, even if you have a gagibillion gallon tank. Patience is everything in this hobby. The more patience you have in this hobby the less let downs you will experience. Its fun, have fun and do it right the first time.

The most amazing thing to me is the entire ecosystem in the tank, the evolution it goes through from set up through it life. Discovering new things learning about additions and watching my fish play is what keeps me involved and learning. I find myself sitting and staring at the smallest things in my tank, spending hours finding them on the web and learning about them. Take your tank to heart. It will pay off in the end for you. Garuanteed.

I mean every word in this thread. Keep in mind I am new to the hobby, so there may be things that I didn't cover or have little knowledge of. But I am hoping that by haveing this thread someone will beable to relate to what I am saying and use this knowledge to make your tanks and experiences better.

Here are a few more links that are very helpful, My favorite sight is the first two. Thanks Marc for all your shared knowledge!

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

http://www.melevsreef.com/

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102

This last one is also a favorite of mine, I get a great sense of pride when I am able to make my own gear and equipment for anything I do. Maybe you would to.

Thanks Reef Frontiers for everything.

Ron, Hobbiest in the making

Practicing typing hey Detri(LOL JK) I'll have to read the whole thing when I get my computer back because my time is limited on this computer(at a friends house) Looks interesting though...

Ok here are the rest of the pics, I had to take a few pics of the full tank to get a decent one. Hopefully soon I will figure out this camera soon, If anyone has and hints, its a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC P73.

Go Detri! I see you haven't gotten your rock yet...Me either. Atleast you have a computer home working(LOL)

I really can't afford the rock right now. The holiday season is coming up I have two kids and a huge family. So my tank is on hold till the new year. Besides I am going to be building a new stand (36x26x39) that will fit this tank and able to upgrade to a 90 gallon 36x24x24, and make a sump to fit in the stand. So I am going to have empty the tank basically for the move. I may even empty it completely and drill the tank for sump feed and returns x 2 If it is possible that is. not sure I can drill 3 holes in a short span on a small tank.

I am thinking about buying 20lbs of base rock then fill in the rest with LR. Any thoughts about that?

Base rock is good. It can be cultured with bacteria and sometimes, IMO, is better for a foundation where you need some strong support to hold a lot of weight, that won't crumble like some LR does sometimes. Just no cement blocks this time Detri(LOL)

Ok here is my first update in a while. I have finished curing a few pieces of LR, and added them to the tank. I also went to the LFS today to get the kids out of the house. Its a rainy day. Well, I found a .5 pound piece of LR with Mushrooms on it. So I bought it. It was in the LR tank and I guess it was damaged so they couldn't sell it as a frag. I brought it home and acclimated it, The Mushrooms opened right away. Then to my suprise I also got 3 tiny polyps, I have identified them as Star Polyps. You can see them in the picture with the shrooms. They are ontop of the rock I got. Anyway, here are the new picks.

oh boy Detri, i didn't know you wanted me to read this much :D i believe i'll be done by tomorrow morning after 5 huge cups of coffee and tons of doughnuts :D .. just kidding dood.
Ok i better start reading :)

Well Detri, after 1 kit- kat chocolate, 1 sandwich, my milky, and some coffee i have to say that you should be a writter dood, seriously you have that thing for making people interested on what you are saying :) .
I feel bad for you about the jackass who sold you the rocks, but i'm glad you ruin his plants lol :D lol !! (i get upset like that too dood )
you should have posted the pictures though, just so people can see what it looked like because for me, when i was first first introduced to my tank :p , and if somebody would have sold me something like that .. trust me, i wouldn't have known the difference :p, call me an idiot but what can i do about it :D.
i really like how your tank is going right now, so yeah i really like your pictures even the one with you and your daughters' head lol !! :D
well dood, i'm sure after Christmas (like me :D) you'll be able to get more rocks dood.
keep up the good work dood :)

Thanks Gabster! Though I am far from a writer lol. Well the last thing I wanted to do when I first started was look like an idiot, so no pictures of the suspicious rocks. But, if I could help someone new to not make the same mistake. Then it's all worth it. My tank is coming along nicely if I do say so my self. I just want another 20lbs of rock then I am good to go. I think I lost 1 of the 3 star polyps, but still have 2 so far. I can't complain though. I got some coral for the price of LR. If they live they live. I will do what I can to help them.

yeah 2 its better than nothing dood :) . and well if they die you can always buy some more when your tank is ready :) .
have you tried looking for rocks on line ?
may be you could get a nice cheap deal? or well what we did when we were first starting we looked in the pet stores too, we got lucky because one pet store was closing so they were giving everything half price :).
I really hope you can get your rocks dood :)

Hey that looks like a great start! I like your new rocks a lot better then the old ones too ;) Nothing quite like getting frags for the price of LR out of the tub!

Way to go Detri! I like the look so far! Too bad you aren't just around the corner...I have about 30lbs of LR just sitting there which I can't use for my rock design that you could have had for free :rolleyes: You are well on your way anyway which I'm glad after your rock mishap in the past. Can't wait until it is all done...Mine too:D

Thanks Tom,
I just hope I can keep them alive. A friend of mine has a HUGE apstasia problem, I went over and helped him try and clean some of them out. We ended up fragging a few pieces of his rock. So now i have some Botton Polyps too. I'll have to go buy some Phytoplankton tonight and some calcium.

I had to torcher the Button Polyps this morning though, there was a huge apstasia on one of the frags. The darn thing was as big as the frag itself. On a good note it was attached to the bottom of the rock it was on and was easy to scrape off.

Back