The Plumbing and Water flow Workshop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok now a quick top down shot so you understand the flow concept.

Ok now only one side will be operating at a time, with the timer you can set it for any amount of time per side, I do mine at 5 minute intervals. SOOOOoooo on the first pipe that comes down next to the overflow, the concept her is to be at least a foot off the bottom, this way you will be able to have decent flow but not screw up the bed to much, we want this flow to sweep across the front of the overflow and then the other side of the Y to sweep the back of the tank, on the other lowered pipe in the corner we are going to once again sweep the back and then sweep the side of the tank. This concept is the exact same on the other side of the tank. Thier are 2 ouptus that are shorties like the ones you have already, with these one you can adjust them accordingly to your rock scape so they provide middle and higher flow. Finally is the outputs on the side, these will naturally be a little less flow then the rest but thats ok as with just want to have normal flow across the front. This is where the fish will spend most of thier time and we dont want them flying all over the place.

Let me know if it looks ok for ya.
snowtopplumb.jpg

Mike

OK I think I got it! this seems so much more simple than the mess I was coming up with! Thanks so much... I'll post pics as i get it done. I am going to go ahead and do replace what I have currently and when the MBV comes in, I'll just need to cut the pvc and insert it into the loop.... well that and a few additional pvc couplers, etc...

Again thanks Mike ---

For the MBV you are looking for a hayward 1 1/2 three way motorized ball valve. I got mine from Harrington plastics for 320 buck.

MIke

Thanks Nikki and Mike----I was going to order that in a bit ---- so you've taken so net searching time off of me! More time to spend in lowes getting PVC....

Ok flow experts I need some serois imput here.My flow in my 90 gal will be with 2 Tunze stream 6060 (no controller) also a return pump 9Mag9.5) which a locline setup.(see Pic attached). My plans are for SPS and LPS only so which direction would give the best all round current. I do plan to turn the streams off at night to give a more calm effect. Any imput would be appreciated.

flowpatternMedium.bmp

MINIATUS

Try this

flowpatternLarge.bmp

How do you upload a bitmap image so it is full size.

MINIATUS

Last edited:
Try converting the image into a jpeg...
If you go to the "save file as" tab, you'll be able to save it as a jpeg file...
Nick

I was tryin to keep the circus (me and my questions) off this great thread and keep all my mambo-jambo questions in my own little area, but since the great MoJo wont come play, ill have to come here with my army of questions.

First off, love this thread, how great that it appeared right when i needed it most!

Now on to the point:

1. Will my pumps (mag12) be able to push out 4 nozzles?

2. After my manifold can i add a hose to the pump or does it have to be PVC?

3. What would be the best directions to place my nozzles for maximum efficiency?

4. I am goin to be usin a swiss-cheese drilled piece of PVC pipe to be the intake of the CL and wanted to know what size holes should i drill?

On with the show ladies and gentlemen....

-Jidzer

Min their aren't a lot of variations you can do with that to begin with. I would say keep the sump return concentrated on the water surface and then adjust the 2 units accordingly once you get your rock work set up.

Jiddy all questions are good.
Will my pumps (mag12) be able to push out 4 nozzles?
Sure but not that much, I figure if you keep the elbows down to minimum probably about 200 gph??
2. After my manifold can i add a hose to the pump or does it have to be PVC?
Well it doesn't have to be pvc, you could use clear tubing or clear reinforced tubing if you wished, just make sure the tubing is compatible with Salt water.
3. What would be the best directions to place my nozzles for maximum efficiency?
Well thats a tough one Jid, it all depends on the tank and the rock work, but if you go to the beginning of the thread it gives you the concepts. Basically your looking to keep the detritus from landing on the bottom or collecting, also to have the flow push the same detritus out to the overflows.
I am goin to be usin a swiss-cheese drilled piece of PVC pipe to be the intake of the CL and wanted to know what size holes should i drill?
Well as big as you can get, any reason why this approach??

Mike

4. I am goin to be usin a swiss-cheese drilled piece of PVC pipe to be the intake of the CL and wanted to know what size holes should i drill?

You don't want the holes to big, if you have snails, there is the possiblity of them getting sucked in. Like Mojo says tho, why PVC. They make intake screens and they are pretty cheap. :confused:

My good buddy and genius friend MOJO! nice to hear from ya! I guess you will have to come over and tell me where to point my nozzles! But as far as i wanted to use the drilled holey PVC intake instead of a pipe is because i didnt want a fish or somethin else to get stuck in there? Is that unnessacary you thinK?

Do you think the overall design is "good enough" for now. I will eventually add a OM or somthing fancy for redirectin flow and will oneday get bigger pumps, its just i need more money for all that, lol! Thanks for the help

-Jidz

charlie said:

You don't want the holes to big, if you have snails, there is the possiblity of them getting sucked in. Like Mojo says tho, why PVC. They make intake screens and they are pretty cheap. :confused:

Why not i guess is where im confused? I have the PVC and a drill, is this a bad design or....?

Thanks Charlie~

I had no problems with the pvc drilled like cheese for the suction, doing it this way reduces the amount of suction at any one given point, snail would just slime over the holes, I think I made 1/8" or 3/16" holes, you need to try smaller and see how it works, just make sure you drill enough to at least equal the diameter of the pump inlet suction. I'll look for pics but I don't think I had one of my cl. I'm taking it you have to do it this way rather than drill through glass right?

Jiddy I have no idea what the plumbing or water flow system you have in mind even looks like my friend. I tried to use my physic powers but still no image is coming in, hehehe.

I think the holed pipe idea sounds good, I am just not sure what the design form the input looks like?

Mike

Oh man and I have doen such a good job watching that thread grow with out jumping in. I see you are going with a manifold around the top. You might have to get a bigger pump to make those 4 out puts work. Give it a shot and see how it goes first though. As per pointing of the outputs I would say the back one should go straight down, as well as the front one and then have the two side outputs point down to about the center middle of the front of the tank.

hope it helps

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back