The price on Yellow Tangs have jumped

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yes, they have gone up in price. I think locally they are $50.00+ Cost affects us all when shipping charges (airfreight), fuel costs etc go up. It trickles down to us all sooner or later.

I can tell you from a retailer's prespective the prices of many fish from Hawaii have gone up in the past couple years...especially Yellow Tangs. The price we pay for Yellows has tripled. Blue Hippo Tang prices from all regions have also gone way up.

prices seem to be the same here for the tangs..yellows are around $20-30 and hippo's are anywhere from $30-45, depending on size

In Asheville, NC yellow tangs are $40-50, hippos are $40-100+ depending on the size, the $40 hippos are tiny, I think it's a good thing, it will prevent a lot of them going into tanks they don't belong in. IMO, they are the most abused tangs by ignorant owners

Prices are still cheap where I live. Tangs should cost 100+, to deter people. Or, it least do a cut back on importing, so they become more uncommon, and the price gets jacked up. They are currently just to cheap, for the careless reefers.

I just bought one at Saltwater City a couple weeks ago for $35.00. It's a nice healthy fish so far. It doesn't seem that much to me for such a beautiful creature that I plan on trying my best to keep alive and happy.

Can't say I've been watching the price for a yellow tang, however I saw a flame angel price of $80 in a LFS. Now, that is quite steep if you ask me.

Well being here in LA, and being able to pick fish from the large wholesalers, I did notice the price go up on the Yellow significantly in the last year or so. I think for meds, yellows I bought in the past 60 days are about 3x more than yellows purchased 18months ago.

The Blue Hippo's have not changed that much, although they are getting them from some different locations that have higher incoming freight rates landing here in LA.

Flames Angels have been pretty much the same price (at LAX) for the past 20+ years.

Granted I get the benefit of the least amount of freight on these fish, than you guys up north, they have at least one more flight to get to you.

Dave B

My Kole cost me 54.00. He was worth the money, but will be removed soon as he has become quite the bully and harasses my orange back fairy wrasse and atlantic blenny. I plan on removing him and returning to an aquatic mariculture facility. I love the Kole, but......he's not going to harrass the other fish or my prized fairy wrasse.

Prices are still cheap where I live. Tangs should cost 100+, to deter people. Or, it least do a cut back on importing, so they become more uncommon, and the price gets jacked up. They are currently just to cheap, for the careless reefers.

I would have to agree. That way people take care of the one or two they buy.

I agree.

I scringe when I see ill tangs that look emaciated and covered in ick or crammed in a 29 gal tank! I'm not a so called "tang police", but as hobbyist we must be responsible for what we purchase. All of us affect the industry each time we make a purchase.

Back