the skinny on sun corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ric

:confused: hi again i just bought my first piece of sun coral i was wondering if sombody can give me some info. about them that would be great . for example i was under the impression that they only come out at night ,mine seems to be out more during the day . also when and what and how often should i feed it.love this site thanks ric

Howdy Ric!

These corals are heavy feeders and you have to be diligent with feeding them. If taken care of properly they are a stunning coral. The polyps are basically individuals, so each must be feed seperate, Piece of shrimp, part of a silver side, blender mush andything on those lines will work. Try to make the peices about the size of the mouths. Usually its an every day every polyp type of thing. Use a turkey baster to get the food to them.

hope it helps

Mike

thanks for the info. mike could you tell me if ishould feed at night or when i see the corals out thanks again

One of the other things you can do is cut the bottom 1/4 of a 2 liter bottle, put it over the suncoral and feed into the 2 liter bottle. That traps the food near the coral without it getting wisked down to the overflow or being eaten by your fish.

Mat

i feed each of my polyps 1-2 mysis shrimp plus supplement with cyclopeeze, they love those shrimp

thanks for the link nikki, that is a great looking tweak of the typical soda bottle...

i keep my sun polyps in a 10 gallon nano so it is easy to feed and no predators.

my black sun polyps are finally extending and actively feeding after 3 weeks in the tank.

hey thanks for all the info you guys have provided .i have one more question about the subject .when is the best time to feed the sun polyp it seems to be out more durring the day thanks again

Ric if you stimulate them, they will come out at anytime. I used to blow a little shrimp juice near them, couple of minutes later they were out and about, then I would give them some food. If you use the bottle method that should get them out of their shell, just make sure you swirl the food around a bit in thier so it gets near their mouths.

Mike

i just fed 2-4 hikari shrimp to each polyp of my black and orange sun corals...i do this every other day once the main lights go down, since they seem to open up more completely, but cylopeeze or seafood juice will definitely entice them, especially if they are healthy,
some i have coming back from the brink took a couple weeks to get the energy to fully extend.

They are a beautiful coral, lots of work but worth it. Dan those blak one are sweet. Have you ever seen the long green ones??

Mike

Heres mine, its the size of a softball.

NashonsSun.jpg

Here is a website that has a funny video with a sun coral: Flame Angels Reef. At the bottom of the home page are some "Quick Links". Click on "I have something to say".

Back