The Ultimate Octopus Skimmer!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Im curious, is 54 scfh @ 54watts what the pump is pulling while connected to the 2 skimmer bodies?

also, there are a couple versions of the "old style" otp 3000, do you know if yours is one of the older more powerful version, or the newer , less powerful version... then theres the "new" version with the larger pump outlet and the newer venturi...considering it's cost, it might be cool to mesh and try on your skimmer(s).

The wattage / scfh numbers you quoted are while the pump is connected to both skimmer bodies, just as in the photos. For the record, my Dwyer only goes to 50, so 54 is my guesstimate based on how hard the ball is pegged and the amount of movement, if any. I will recheck using both the Dwyer and the Kill-A-Watt this weekend to see if anything has changed.

As far as which pump version, I honestly don't know. I can tell you the pump was purchased from SWC (saltwaterconnection) along with the original (1st) body in March or April of 2008. The input piping is the metric equivilent of 1.25" at the volute and the output pipe is the metric equivalent of 3/4", if that helps...

The wattage / scfh numbers you quoted are while the pump is connected to both skimmer bodies, just as in the photos. For the record, my Dwyer only goes to 50, so 54 is my guesstimate based on how hard the ball is pegged and the amount of movement, if any. I will recheck using both the Dwyer and the Kill-A-Watt this weekend to see if anything has changed.

As far as which pump version, I honestly don't know. I can tell you the pump was purchased from SWC (saltwaterconnection) along with the original (1st) body in March or April of 2008. The input piping is the metric equivilent of 1.25" at the volute and the output pipe is the metric equivalent of 3/4", if that helps...

Make that 1" at the intake volute and 3/4" at the output...

Luke33:

Checked the numbers on Sunday

Dwyer still pegged at 50+ (my guess is 54 scfh but it could be 53 or 55)

Kill-A- Watt up 1 to 55w

Skimmate still coming steady; skimmer is very stable as far as adjustments go

No issues starting up or running the pump... I shut it off to clean the cups and it restarted up immediately with air intake after maybe 2 - 3 seconds

Pump runs nice and quiet, too...

Next up, I am adding ozone to this puppy :evil:

- Bob

My air intake mod

Your skimmer looks so awesome. I decided to try part of this mod and it definatly increased the air flow. I wish I had taken pictures as i did it not after. Just curious if it may be to much air or water.

Pump is definatly pushing a lot more water and air!

Intake
pumpintake.jpg
[/IMG]

Skimmer in action
skimmer.jpg
[/IMG]

And the collection cup after a few minutes
colectioncup.jpg
//[/IMG]

Last edited:
Good #'s bob.

Poakley, if its pulling alot more water it could be pulling alot more wattage too. You may want to check that out, if it is it may burn up.

I hooked up my kill a watt and it says 55w and the pump says 65 on it so I am pretty sure I am good.

Back