thinking about a 29g bio cube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Good...simple... Dont buy the skimmer with wood air block for them..complete junk.

If you want a skimmer CPR makes a skimmer that are for Nano tanks and it fits perfectly in the second chamber.

As for initial use ...the only quarks I had were with the filter that comes with it...it clogs easy and if you have a fish that likes to kick up sand...it just restricts flow..which in turn..causes the water level to drop in 3rd chamber causing the pump to suck bubbles into the tank... not a volume issue of water but flow from chamber 1 --> chamber 2.

I would buy some filter pad.... cut it out to fit ontop of the water trickling cover on chamber 2...tuck it so that the water flow has to pass on and over it before going through....or pack in a few layers like 1 or 2 under it...

Where the bio balls go...be sure to replace with rubble rock...

Thats it... weekly water changes 5g and you can maintain that system with some corals to...softies of course due to lighting.....

If you get that skimmer i suggest...your water changs could cut down on the volume...2-3g a week... depends on your feeding habbits and bio load..but...still good Skimmer just makes managing it even easyer.

Last edited:
I would go with Oceanics before any other. I know that this is just an opinion but seems to be the nicest available. I am not a big JBJ fan.

i just think im gunna go with that tank because it seems to have the most lighting and most volume for under 300 bucks.

and ill definately keep all the info in mind thanks

We have a 29 gallon bio-cube for my 12 year old son..He cleans and does all the maintinance himself..We have done a few mods ourselves..The original filters do plug easily..So we ripped off the cotton and pulled out the carbon...We purchased a cut to fit filter pad and we replace the squares weekly..Second we opened up the first chamber where the water flows thru and it helps get more water circulation..He has added 2 korelia nanos and has great flow in the tank..he is successfully keeping Softies,Lps and even a few easy care sps..Hope this helps..Shane

I currently have a 29 gal biocube. I've had no issues with it.

I removed the bio-balls from the back and run filter floss on top of the tray. I've also added a medium hob aquafuge. The flow in the tank has been enhanced with an MJ1200 and a Koralia 1. I ran the stock lighting for a few months and then upgraded to a 24" 4x24 watt T5 setup from hellolights.

Overall an excellent tank for the money (I found it used on craigslist for $200 with the stand).

my first tank is 14 gal bio cube and i like it except theres not much of space so i upgraded to 24 gal but its an aquapod..

i like the wet and dry on the bio cube, the aquapod doesnt have that..and theres a meter on the side that tells you if you need to top off(bio cubes)

just replace the bio balls with rubble rock or live rock that i cut in pieces(thats what i did)
then i put cut up filter pads..no skimmer just weekly water change and my corals were doing perfect..

24 to 29 is a good size for a nano..just do water changes and take care of the corals,have dedication and time..that will make them happy!

wow this was an old thread but it exploded in the last few days! thanks everyone for all your help. i havent set up a tank for myself yet as money is kind of tight, but my plan is to a 29 gal bio cube or a 24 aquapod with mainly zoos in it.

My fans stopped running after a year and they sent new ones that did not fix the issue.
Also on of the ballast went out but they replaced it now problem.
Good little tank for thos that need somethine small and nice looking.

Back