thinking of purchasing a-HOB Reef Octopus BH 100SS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kickside

Hey everyone I'm thinking of purchasing this skimmer for my tank, but first I wanted to know what you guys think about it. It says its recommended for up to 90 gallons
I have a 38 gallon tank, is it to much skimmer for my tank??

any other recommendations
around the same price tag
$129.95

Reef Octopus BH 100SS
Hang on Back Protein Skimmer
PS-CV-OCT-HOB-100SS

I don't think it's too big especially if you plan on getting a bigger tank later or have a heavy bio load. I'm running a SWC BH 500 on my 29 gallon long. It says it's for up to 125 gallons. I choose that over the SWC 100 which I assume is pretty much the same as the Octopus 100SS, they look to be copy cats. I Like that fact the SWC's don't have the ugly pump hanging in the tank. My SWC pulls more out in a day then both the AquaC Remora and the Coralife 100 did in 4 days. And I don't have ugly pumps hanging in the tank.

Hang On Skimmers

I was just looking at swc skimmers they look good I also like that they don't have the pump hanging in the tank
but they are a bit more pricey

They do hit you in the wallet a bit more, but I'm on skimmer #4 because I went cheap the first few times around. (not saying you are going cheap) Granted some people might think the SWC or even Octo's are junk compared to some of the insanely priced skimmers out there but I just refuse to pay that much money for a pump, PVC, and acrylic that basically does the same thing. $500 dollars more for a 10% increase in output just isn't worth it to me.

I think some of the other Octo's have the pump below the skimmer too so it's not in the tank.

I think that Reef Octo has their OTP turbine pump in it. If so, good. If it has the Resun pumps in it you have to be careful. Those pumps are notorious for failing.

Mike

Alright I'll keep an eye out for those pumps

any other brands I should look into besides the octopus and the swc

kickside, I have a octopus HOB for my 40g breeder in my office..does an great job and please with..ive had no issue with the pump so far..had skimmer for 2 yrs

Hey everyone I'm thinking of purchasing this skimmer for my tank, but first I wanted to know what you guys think about it. It says its recommended for up to 90 gallons
I have a 38 gallon tank, is it to much skimmer for my tank??

any other recommendations
around the same price tag
$129.95

Reef Octopus BH 100SS
Hang on Back Protein Skimmer
PS-CV-OCT-HOB-100SS

dont get the 100ss, for no other reason than it's an eyesore, and that completely shyte resun pump that WILL fail....
get the bh1000, bh2000, SWC bh500, or bh100f as long as its the new version w/ the OTP and not resun pump.
also check out the eshopps hob skimmer:
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ES-PSK-100H.html

Last edited:
Umm that does look like an awesome skimmer
but I need to save a little more money, if I want to get that one.
thanks for the info

Back