Thinking on getting a skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I'm in the process of getting everything I need for my first reef. I have a 60 gallon tank predrilled and I'm getting a 20 gallon tank as a sump.

I've been looking for a good skimmer that is not too expensive. I was considering the Coralife Super Skimmer (125 gallon) but since I've read over and over how important the skimmer in a reef, I'm considering to spend a little extra money and get something better. I've read the reviews and I think the Turboflotor Skimmer 1000 or the 1000 Multi are a good option.

What do you guys think? any other suggestions in that price range?

A skimmer is a great investment! What size tank is it for again? I know you posted 125gal above, but I wasn't sure if that meant you had a 125 gal or if the super coralife skimmer was rated for 125gals...Also, what kind of skimmer are you looking for...A skimmer to operate in a sump, hang on a tank, be used externally etc and about how much space do you have? That will give us some ideas on what skimmer to recommend:)

For me one of the good skimmers are the ASM, i got a baby g1 and it works pretty good .
i don't know if you have seen other threads but it seems like the octopus skimmer works pretty good too.

My tank is a 60 gallon (48" x 15" x 20") and the skimmer is going to be installed in a 20 gallon tank that will be my sump but I only know that is 24" long and 16 tall if I remember well. What do you guys would recommend?

I'd go with the ASM like Gabby recommended or a Euroreef if you have the space. Both are well known terrific skimmers and right now, Premium Aquatics has a special going on on a Euroreef that will work great for that size tank. Not sure if it is in your budget, but here's my vote. If I ever change from my skimmer, it will be a Euroreef. I would have bought one from day one and had my heart set on it, but how my first sump was built, the baffles wouldn't allow for it so I had to go with a skimmer that could be used externally...:)

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Product_Code=EURO-CS080&Category_Code=EURO

I'd go with the ASM like Gabby recommended or a Euroreef if you have the space. Both are well known terrific skimmers and right now, Premium Aquatics has a special going on on a Euroreef that will work great for that size tank. Not sure if it is in your budget, but here's my vote. If I ever change from my skimmer, it will be a Euroreef. I would have bought one from day one and had my heart set on it, but how my first sump was built, the baffles wouldn't allow for it so I had to go with a skimmer that could be used externally...:)

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Product_Code=EURO-CS080&Category_Code=EURO

Are you sure that would be enough for my setup? (60 gallon tank + 20 gallon sump tank) seems a little tight although it's in my budget (around $200).

If your going to go with ASM for total volume of 80 gals is ASM G1 skimmer, its rated little higher in total volume and has free shipping anywhere in the US.

Yeah, the ASM series of skimmers is almost the same thing as the Euroreef and like Bob said, the G1 is rated for a slightly larger tank (100gals) than the Euroreef model I showed you. :)

IMO.. If you have the space i'd up size to the ASM G1-X. It's rated for 150 gals.

I usally try to get a skimmer that is rated for 2X the tank capacity.

Skimmer ratings are subjective at best. Skimmer manufacturers are known to over rate their skimmers capability.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Euro-Reef was started by two guys. For whatever reason, one of them split off and began making ASM skimmers.

ASM skimmers are for all intents and purposes Euro-Reef skimmers with some slight differences. They both use the same pumps and and are built similarly. ASM uses different unions for the neck and is made from less expensive acrylic than the higher end ER's, but they are basically the same skimmer.
ER recently (within the last 3 years) revised their skimmer ratings, and actually lowered them somewhat. ASM uses the old ER ratings.

With that in mind, I would suggest looking at the skimmer dimensions and what pumps they use to get as close as possible (for comparisons sake of similar models between ASM and ER) and then I'd suggest going with ER's more conservative ratings than ASM's.

For example...the ER skimmer that Krish is reccomending is:

22 inches tall, 5 inches in diameter, and is powered by a Sedra 3500. This skimmer is rated for up to 80 gallons per ER. ER uses either Dolphin or Sedra submersible pumps and refers to them as SP series. I asked them about this via email and that is what they stated in the reply. I can post the email if needed.

http://www.euro-reef.com/products-skimmerstechspec.shtml
http://www.euro-reef.com/csrs80specs.shtml

The ASM skimmer ReefDaddy is suggesting is:

19 inches tall, 5.5 inches in diameter, and is powered by a Sedra 2500, which is a smaller pump than the 3500. The number is a reference to the pumps flow rating. The Sedra 2500 pushes 250 gph in stock form, (less w/a needlewheel impeller for skimmer) and the Sedra 3500 pushes 350 gph in stock form, (again, less w/a needlewheel impeller for skimmer). This skimmer is rated for up 100 gallons per ASM.

http://www.aquariumextreme.com/mm5/...e_Code=AE&Product_Code=ASMG1&Category_Code=PS

Info on Sedra Pumps....http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=wp-wp-s1

When looking at both of these skimmers side by side, the ASM is shorter by 3 inches, wider by 0.5 inch, and has a smaller pump.....and its rated for a larger system?

Both skimmers are reliable, quiet, efficient, and easy to use and set up. Both skimmers are being sold for the same price. And both are currently being sold w/ free shipping through Aquarium Extreme, (ASM) and Premium Aquatics, (ER).

The ASM is made w/ extruded acrylic, which is less expensive and not as durable as the cell cast acrylic the ER is made of. However, the ASM is far from fragile, it just wont take the abuse the ER will.

So in the end, I would state that the ASM G1 and the ER CS-80 will essentially handle the same size system. Its up to you to decide which skimmer you'd rather own. Both will serve you well.

Nick

Well said Nick, thanks a lot!

Just wondering since the difference in price between the ASM G1 and the ASM G-1X is so little. Which one should I get?

Would any of these (ASM G1 or ASM G-1X) fit my 20 gallon sump (24" x 12.5" x 16.5" height) ???? if they do I think we have a winner!

The footprint would be your biggest concern on the G-1x its 8.5" x 11" footprint on the G-1 its 8.5 x 10. only because of the pump size, The G=1x is 22 inches tall, and G-1 is 19 inches. Just depends on what kinda room you got. Also as far mt recommendation to you about ASM G-1 was in trying to keep you under 200 limit. but for 6 more dollars you can get G-1x and be real happy with it.

The footprint would be your biggest concern on the G-1x its 8.5" x 11" footprint on the G-1 its 8.5 x 10. only because of the pump size, The G=1x is 22 inches tall, and G-1 is 19 inches. Just depends on what kinda room you got. Also as far mt recommendation to you about ASM G-1 was in trying to keep you under 200 limit. but for 6 more dollars you can get G-1x and be real happy with it.

You're right, the footprint is my main concern. Is it bad if skimmer fits too tight in the sump?

Carlos I would really check into the RO skimmer before you buy any asm. I have seen both and the ro construction is much better. You can get them from aquacave (a sponsor of RF) and if you enter the RF code they will give you a discount on your order. The shipping is kinda slow but they are well worth the money. Bradreef and I both bought the recirc 200 and I believe ronj bought the straight 200 and da colts has the 150. I love my skimmer and I have owned a lot of skimmers so far.:lol: Here are some pictures of da colts 150

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16677&highlight=colts

I have a picture of the 200 recirc in my tank thread but it was before it was broken in and working.

Just thought I would give you another option.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about Octopus Skimmers, they look like a good option. Which model would you recommend for my setup? also where can I find the RF code to get the discount?

I would think the 150 would do the job but I would buy as big of one as you can fit in your sump. Here is the link to the discount page http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=176310#post176310
Here is the thread on RC with more info on the skimmers. This is there lastest split.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=903403&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

HTH
Brian

Do you know what kind of pump come with the Octopus NW-150 Needle-Wheel Protein Skimmer?

There's a $80 difference between the ASM and the Octopus, what do you guys think?

Back