Thoughts on a new tank design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SnoQ

I'm in the process of looking for a new house, and one of the things in the forefront of my mind is where I can add a new aquarium. Ideally I'm hoping to find a house with a solid wall in the main living area (I want the tank where I can see it as much as possible) and a room behind it that I can turn into a fish room. I was thinking 3 visible sides in the living area but now I'm thinking in wall just so I can have the working area contained in a room where I can put in a tile floor. I like hardwood floors (carpet and dogs don't go well together) and having hardwood floors in the current house, even a small spill causes a bit of a panic.

The size I'm thinking is 20" tall, 36" deep and 8' - 10' long, so about 350-375 gallons. My 180g is 24" tall and it's a pain getting to the bottom of the tank, the 180g is 24" deep and I want to go 36" so I can have more open sandbed up front, and the 180g is 6' long and I want to go 8' to 10' because more is better! :)

I really want glass, at least on the viewing side. I like the way it looks better and it's easier to clean. This house will hopefully be the last house I buy so I'm not worried so much about weight. Once it's in, it's staying. The back and sides will likely be black or blue so I don't care what they are made of. I know there will need to be bracing at the top and likely in one of two places in the middle, but I'd like it to be as narrow as possible so I can easily get into the tank. The bracing on my 180g acrylic leaves fairly small holes at the top.

Has anyone on here set up something similar? If so, what worked and what didn't? Any other thoughts I should keep in mind when planning a new build like this?

The best advice I can throw your way is to talk to the folks at Oceans by Design concerning the construction of your tank. They will be able to tell what thickness of glass you will need and what type of bracing is required for this monster. Acrylic prices have gone thru the roof in the recent past, so I am not sure if the would be much of a price difference fro glass to acrylic.
Jason at CFI is another great sponsor here that works wonders with acrylic, you should contact him also.

Sounds like a amazing setup your looking for.
If it were to be 8 to ten feet long that'd be crazy :)

My tank is only 21 deep and I hate swimming in it.
With my future tank that's why I was wanting to go wide vs deep.
IMO I'd go glass.

Susan,

I have to agree with Dave's (peppie) advice...for glass tank, chat with OBD, for acrylic contact Jason..My tank is custom acrylic built tank from Jason.. two thumbs up for him.

Back