Thoughts on Clown Gobies

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Craiz

At the LFS the other day and saw yellow clown gobies. I originally thought they were just tiny yellow watchman gobies and didn't think twice (I've already got one). For whatever reason I had never heard of clown gobies before.

I'm thinking of adding a couple to my 210g tank. I like the idea of a tiny fish that "crawls" around on the rock. Anyone have any thoughts about them (good/bad)? Any problems with them?

I tried searching the forums for "clown goby" but can't figure out how to make it find that exact string and I end up with hundreds of matches for threads with "clown" and "goby" separately. So I could use some pointers on that too!

Thanks.

I have two of them..
One was from Barrier reef. Good cute little fish..
The other I got from a fellow reefer and it is also cute but has a taste for ACRO's
A BIG appetite for acros..
Doesn't touch the birdsnest or the montis just the acros..

We have a citron clown, and he is too cute!! I love him, I call him georgie the orangie. But you should only keep one per tank unless you have a really big tank, as they can fight. Also if you have a pair and have acro, they may lay their eggs under it, which can hurt the acro. We have a 46bowfront, with like 60lbs liverock, a lot of tonga branches, and he likes to hide in there so you hardly ever see him. You have to "spot feed" him, to make sure some of the food gets down to him, otherwise I'm afraid he'd just wither away in his branches. The green clowns are really neat too. there's also the okinawae clown, which is cute yellow with little blushing cheeks. They're a very neat fish! I'd like to get a green as well, since i doubt they'd ever see each other!

And that post came out totally random, so I hope it makes sense! I've been on cold meds for a week now, my brain isn't functioning in a straight line.

two of them And I love them but they love ACROs
so now they chill in the 29 with the softies and mushrooms..
I would give one away but I can't catch the little buggers unless I tear my tank down..

heres one of them
feb23016.jpg

Adam, do you have the same problems, where you can never find them, and spot feeding, and etc.? Or do they come out to play?

And apollo, if you google clown goby, you get 295,000 results. Oh yeah. Gotta love google.

thats good that you can see them, what with all those galoon's. lol. Were yours always like that or did they get more comfy the longer they were in the 29 galoon.

Could you imagine, in 210 galoons, oh you'd never see them, unless you figured out their hidey holes or whatever. Or brave and bold ones like adams, not a neurotic one like mine!

They have been that way from the get go..
only one day of hiding then out all the time...
Just had to look at my ACRO's and there they were "GRAZING"

In a 210g, you'd probably never see them. These are a great nano fish though.
I had one in my 210 and it was all over the place despite my having fairly territorial fish including a long nose hawkfish. It was always perched in a coral or hopping around in and on the rocks. It was quite cute and had a great personallity.

It was an acropora killer.
I nearly lost three SPS in the three weeks I had it.

I had one in my 210 and it was all over the place despite my having fairly territorial fish including a long nose hawkfish. It was always perched in a coral or hopping around in and on the rocks. It was quite cute and had a great personallity.

It was an acropora killer.
I nearly lost three SPS in the three weeks I had it.
Yep thats why I had to prematurly move corals over to the big tank...
They were getting eaten and fast..

Back