Thoughts on Clown Gobies

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Look at this little guy! This is usually the most you see of him! But how cute is he?!

To get a better search result with google, put both words together in double quotes. The search engine will look for the exact term within the double quotes "clown goby".

We got a tank a while ago that came with two yellow clown gobies and one black. We decided to take the yellow pair into the fish store as I read that they commonly will remove polyps from sps to nest in the corals and we didn't want that.

We kept the little black clown goby and he is in our 300gal display. He doesn't nip at the corals at all. He does live in our green slimer though. I guess the clown gobies have a greater tendancy of nipping sps corals if you have a pair.

They're cute. The yellow ones are cuter than the black ones, but I was told the black ones are safer.

Last edited:
I've got a yellow clown goby in a 46g. No issues with him hiding - it's out and about all the time. Normally perches on a platygyra, but his #2 favorite spot is camping out on my acans. At night, he hides in the branches of a Duncan and thinks he's hidden! Really nice fish with lots of personality. I've never had him nip at any corals, but I have no acros. He doesn't bother the seriatopora or the stylophora, or any of the LPS.

Back