thoughts on flame angel fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kickside

I want to add a new fish to my tank. Right now, I have two clown fish and a blenny. I want to add a flame angel but some people say they are reef safe and others say they aren't. Does anyone have any experience keeping flame angels or currently have one in their tank.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

The dwarf Angels are generally compatible with a wide range of invertebrates, both mobile and immobile. I don't believe there is any true definition of "reef safe," however much depends on the individual fish, if it is http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/fed-properly-proper-nutrition-57474/ and the types of reef marine life you plan to keep with it.

If you elaborate on the size of the tank and the other inhabitants, there may be additional information available from those with experience.

I am tagging along here. I have been told that the Blue Jaw trigger is considered reef safe by some and then others are telling me that it is not. I would also like to keep a flame angel.

Of the Dwarf Angels, there are some that are more "reef safe" than others. The Flame Angel is one of the "safest." IMO, the Dwarf Angels that are the MOST safe, are those of the Genicanthus species, though they have other potential issues, that hobbyists need to be aware of, before purchasing.

Angels are omnivorous so any that you buy may or may not be reef safe. I've seen thread after thread where angels have been in the tank for a long time and suddenly developed a taste for polyps, clam mantles, etc. I'd love to have a big angel in my tank but since I've made the move from a fish only tank to a mixed reef I won't do it simply because I don't want to take the chance. Let the buyer beware, I suppose.

Mike

We had a Flame Angel in our "Mixed Reef" the only thing she nipped were SPS. We never witnessed the fish nipping much but once we got rid of her our polyp extension and health of our SPS drastically improved.

Ok everytime time I look up information online for some kind of angel fish this comes up
Reef Compatible: With Caution what does it mean??
what kind of precautions do I need to take if I were to buy one

I didn't use those words, but I tried to convey the same meaning. It depends on the individual fish; the type of corals and immobile invertebrates present; feeding conditions; environment; and a couple of other issues that may develop in captive marine fishes. That is to say, when lumping these fishes together, they are 'reef safe' (whatever that means) sometimes. :)

Kickside: Its exactly as it says. They are reef compatible but with caution meaning that as a small fish they maybe fine but when they grow to a larger size they may start looking at your inverts and corals as food. Some wrasses are like this as are most large angelfish.

I have a blue jaw trigger in my mixed reef with LPS, SPS, zoas, shrimp, clams, etc and he's never hurt a fly(or a fish either). My parents have had the same experience so far with their flame dwarf - he's been a model citizen.

I don't believe any fish is 100% reef safe, just like I don't believe there are "easy" corals. They all have personalities, and it will depend on the specific fish, and how it is cared for. I had a velvet damsel in my reef for almost a year when I first started the hobby, and as he got bigger started nipping at everything! Reef safe "with caution" can mean several things:
1 May or may not nip/eat corals
2 may or may not be aggressive toward other fish or inverts

Maybe I have good luck, but every flame angel or blue jaw trigger I've kept have been model citizens and not bother any LPS corals. The key, IMO, is to feed them frequently. I feed my fish at least 3-4 times a day.

Back