Thoughts Please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chris&barb

Reef-Geeks
Our 180g tank is a peninsula style where the return and over flow are on one small end of the tank(3 sides viewable) i just recently redid my return plumbing and now im getting much better flow from the sump to the tanks. heres the question. because of the location of the over flow on one end and the center glass brace of the tank i have to chock back the return line flow some or else the water level raises to where the glass brace blocks the surface water from flowing back to the over flow and scum will build up at the far end. i want to cut out the teeth of the over flow to allow more water over it with out it raising so much. how should i do it?

my drain lines can definitely handle the extra water

Our 180g tank is a peninsula style where the return and over flow are on one small end of the tank(3 sides viewable) i just recently redid my return plumbing and now im getting much better flow from the sump to the tanks. heres the question. because of the location of the over flow on one end and the center glass brace of the tank i have to chock back the return line flow some or else the water level raises to where the glass brace blocks the surface water from flowing back to the over flow and scum will build up at the far end. i want to cut out the teeth of the over flow to allow more water over it with out it raising so much. how should i do it?

my drain lines can definitely handle the extra water

A picture of the overflow would help, also is it acrylic?

Don

yes its acrylic, ill try to get a photo. i know i can use a router but dont really want to use something that draws 5amps and spins at 15000rmp so close to the tank.:eek:

The problem with die grinder type bit is they catch and are not controllable if the back of the bit hits it will jump. I'd make a little wooden t jig for a router to stand on and plunge straight down. Do every other hole and give that a shot.

Don

If your really uncomfortable with the router. Make a little jig that will sit on the overflow and drill straight down with a brad point drill bit. Dont try it with a regular bit it will walk.

Don

If your really uncomfortable with the router. Make a little jig that will sit on the overflow and drill straight down with a brad point drill bit. Dont try it with a regular bit it will walk.

Don

its not that im uncomfortable with a router(im a carpenter) im uncomfortable with a router in my fishtank:D

its not that im uncomfortable with a router(im a carpenter) im uncomfortable with a router in my fishtank:D

I can't understand why? :rolleyes: Don't fish like big electrical devices?:lol:
I like the dremel idea, I cut some pieces off the top of a 35 gal hex tank with one once.

Tim

Just dont drop it.:D A jig will make it plenty safe. Youll get it, not that hard. I would not use a dremel type or rotozip tool only because it will be ugly.

Don

Back