Through wall bulkhead?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TheKraken

I would like to connect the fish room to the room on the other side of an interior wall to run plumbing, electricity, and reduce noise. If I am moving towards a display room and a filter room.

My question is how do you move stuff between rooms? I have looked at various pass through plates and boxes but they are fond of 90* bends and only finish one side. There are also cat door like products but I am looking for something inexpensive, available locally, and "clean" looking.

Pictures are appreciated.

there are circular plates at home depot just cut the hole out for the pipe to fit through and screw the plate into the wall.

Just cut a hole with a hole saw and re-bed the area (assuming it is drywall). If it is solid wood, or wood paneling, drill a hole the EXACT same diameter as the plumbing starting on the "finish" side so as to reduce exit damage. You may have to sand the hole a bit to get the plumbing to fit. This is a very low profile way of solving this problem, but I have seen it produce some slick results..

Thank you for the ideas so far. I have drywall on both sides and the wall was an addition. I would like enough room to pass a few extension cables and some extra space for tubes in expansion. For example I would like to pre-mix salt in one room and then have it show up on the otherside so a 1/4" or 1/2" should be fine.

Since it is dry wall, you need to do like I did when I punched through to my garage for a filter room. Expansion foam! After you drill and plumb your piping fill the void around the pipes with the foam to reduce noise and keep the drafts out. It also helps in sealing in the pipes and stops vibration noises.
For the wires you can just use some piping to have a clean run through the wall.
There are wall flanges you can use also for a more decretive appeal like what you see under your sink cabinet where the drain go's into the wall.
Good luck!
Frank

I used a Washing Machine Outlet Box (Amazon.com: Wash Machine Outlet Box - 38820 Wash Machine Outlet Box: Home Improvement).

Pros:
+cheap (if you get the model w/o valves included)
+readily available locally (I've seen them at Lowes, Home Depot, and McLendons.)
+plenty of room for cables, pipes, or tubing (3/4" ID tubing actually fits inside the removable knock-outs, where a valve would go)
+gives a nice finished look on the display-side.

Cons:
-thin plastic, doesn't do much for sound (but you could spray-foam/insulate behind it.)
-can be tricky to install (designed mostly for new construction, not for retrofit)-- I had to cut a much much larger opening on the back-side to secure it properly.

Yea I like the uniseals also as they tend to take up any vibration that may occur.

Mojo

I finally settled on a pair of carlon low voltage boxes (2 gang). For a passthrough I just need to cut two square holes roughly aligned. Should I need to pull the tanks I can use standard blank socket plates to make everything look nice again.

I think I am out ~$9.

The general idea: http://www.wiretracks.com/images/plasma_10.jpg

Personally I would make the hole big enough for everything to fit through and still keep it within the size of a air vent cover or floor register cover, rectangle... Then if you move take everything out put the cover up and it will look like it is suppose to be there. Lot less work than patching a bunch of little holes...

Back