Time for a new RO/DI unit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dieselbreath

Lost in the salty water
Currently my Ro unit is doing the job but seems to be going thru filters fairly fast and still not cleaning the water like I would expect. My TDS in is about 200-300 and my output is about 25-30ppm. I would assume that I'm fighting the Cyano Bacteria due to this.

What would you reccommend for a new unit something in the 100-200 gpd range, my current is only 50gpd.

Crystal Clear
Maxxima (Kent marine RO/DI)
Kent Marine (RO)
Spectra Pure
Captive Purity

I just want to make the environment for my livestock as healthy as possible, and eliminate the nasty RED slime.

DB

How old is the unit ? what is the water pressure feeding the unit ? how fast are you going through filters ? When was the last time you changed the ro membrane? Maybe you have real high chlorine or chloramine counts that are attacking the tfc on the ro membrane. there are a million things that could be going wrong here. This information will help. Unless the unit is really old and water is able to pass the filters I doubt you need a new unit and even then I would think you would only need new filter housing's.

I am far from an expert how ever so I am sure some one else will chime in with more info

This will help
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12190

Last edited:
Currently my Ro unit is doing the job but seems to be going thru filters fairly fast and still not cleaning the water like I would expect. My TDS in is about 200-300 and my output is about 25-30ppm. I would assume that I'm fighting the Cyano Bacteria due to this.

What would you reccommend for a new unit something in the 100-200 gpd range, my current is only 50gpd.

Crystal Clear
Kent Marine (RO)
Spectra Pure
Captive Purity

I just want to make the environment for my livestock as healthy as possible, and eliminate the nasty RED slime.

DB
You will pay BIG money for a true 100-200 gpd system.....Id agree that your membrane is going bad. I have about 500 tds out of the tap and after di i get 0-1 tds

...why buy a whole new system when you can just replace the bad parts in your current setup with quality filters?

I would have to agree with Willy, Change the membrane to a really good one. There is plenty of info out there on the best membranes for the system. If your looking for new system the best out there is Spectapure. They use technology nobody elese has, but you pay for it. Down here in Az our TDS in the summer runs about 900-1200 ppm. Spectapure systems get it to 0 ppm. They are also located in Tempe Az. They designed the system for high demand areas like here.

Crystal Clear
Kent Marine (RO)
Spectra Pure
Captive Purity

DB

I'd check with the filter guys. You can get a new one or fix/upgrade the one you already have. Getting a dual 75 will easily net you 100 + per day.

Don

How old is the unit ? what is the water pressure feeding the unit ? how fast are you going through filters ? When was the last time you changed the ro membrane? Maybe you have real high chlorine or chloramine counts that are attacking the tfc on the ro membrane. there are a million things that could be going wrong here. This information will help. Unless the unit is really old and water is able to pass the filters I doubt you need a new unit and even then I would think you would only need new filter housing's.

I am far from an expert how ever so I am sure some one else will chime in with more info

This will help
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12190

The unit is about 6 years old. The inconing water pressure is 75-85 psi constant. The filters need to be replaced every 4-5 months. I haven't checked the water coming in for a chlorine read but it is city supplied (Monroe).

With all this being said what would you guy's and gal's recommend I do to increase the quality of water.

The unit is about 6 years old. The inconing water pressure is 75-85 psi constant. The filters need to be replaced every 4-5 months. I haven't checked the water coming in for a chlorine read but it is city supplied (Monroe).

With all this being said what would you guy's and gal's recommend I do to increase the quality of water.

Personally with that good of water pressure I'd go to the filter guys and buy two 75 gpd membranes and associated parts. Also if your di is horzontal I'd junk it and get a vertical while your there. I dont think youll be sorry.
As far as chloramine goes your third filter should be carbon which will take care of that. I would buy a chloramine kit and install a test tap. Test for chloramine once a month until you figure out the real life span of your carbon filter.

Don

Filter Guy's? Not sure who that is, or where they are located. Then you say run 2 RO membranes parrallel or in series? Then follow it up with a charcoal and then the Vertical DI?

This whole RO thing is kind of new to me but I do find it very important. Hoping to really improve this whole process.

Jason

hate to tell ya

hate to tell ya,but there's only two makers of ro membrains,and 99 percent come from Dow.There all made from the same sourse of paper,that comes from Coca cola and then different company's[some who roll there own]put there names on them.I,ve found that the best place to get units complete with all the things to stop waste water flow when they shut off andpressure gauge,and externalflow restrictors,is from Custom Aquatic.Not to mention very inexpensive.

Filter Guy's? Not sure who that is, or where they are located. Then you say run 2 RO membranes parrallel or in series? Then follow it up with a charcoal and then the Vertical DI?

This whole RO thing is kind of new to me but I do find it very important. Hoping to really improve this whole process.

Jason

The charcoal goes before the membranes to remove membrane damaging chloramines. Here is a diagrm to help explain.

Don

So by loooking at the diagram I would need to add a second carbon canister, a seciond membrane and then a DI unit. Almost would be cheaper it seems to buy a whole new unit and then tie the two together?

Thought's

DB

At what point should the pressure gauge be installed. I just purchased one but, I'm not to sure where to tie it in.

DB

At what point should the pressure gauge be installed. I just purchased one but, I'm not to sure where to tie it in.

DB

I like one before the membrane and one before the pre filters.

The carbon filter is just a cartrige that goes in you existing system. How many stages do you have now?

Don

Some pics of my system!!

Here are a couple pics of my current system. I also threw a picture in showing how I tied it into the main house system above the water heater in the garage.

During operation I'm running about 74psi according to the gauge I just put in, and not operating I have about 80-85 psi at the system.

More input Please!!

Thanks Jason (DB)

Last edited:
Back