time for a new skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sweetpea355

Okay guy and gals, I have a 100g reef with a 29g sump/refugium.
I have a lot of lps and softies,My skimmer is a aquaC ev 180 and its not doing to great of a job. I here people say they empty there collection cup once every 2 days but not me. Theres not to many mods out there for this skimmer besides a bigger pump and I did that one. So I will be in the market for a better skimmer but don't know which one as of now, I will be looking to spend around 4-500 buchs on one but it will hve to be big enough to handle a future 180g reef . What should I look for?:confused:

I have been researching a new skimmer for awhile. My budget is around 300 bucks. I have a 58 gallon reef with about 20 gallons in the sump. I have narrowed it down to the Tunze 9010 or Euroreef RS135. What would you recommend. Important features to me are future upgrade to a low bioload 120, energy consumption, noise, and performance. Should i even be looking at the octopus or pacific coast imports recirculation skimmers?

My dad's skimmer is also going bad, his set up is a 75 gallon with about a 30 gallon sump. He has a medium bioload with LPS/Softies. Would the same skimmer work for him? Interested in your opinions.

-chris

Sorry I was trying to start a new thread and hijacked this one. Hopefully someone can move it for me? I can only figure out how to delete.

Last edited:
The reason I prefer recirc's is because there basically plug and play. If you run a nw skimmer and your water level in teh skimmer compartment fluctuates it will be somewhat finicky. If your water level never changes you'll be just fine with a nw. I haven't touched my recirc for months besides dumping out the skimmate.

Chris, both of those skimmers will work fine for either tank yours or your dads. You can look at the octo's and the oct150 would be good for your 58g and the 150 would work for your dad's 72g but i would suggest the octo 200nw for your pops. You can also meshmod them and boar out teh elbo, and venturi for much added performance. HTH

Luke

Back