Time for some pump maintainance

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gas4544

Montipora Keeper
This morning I was dosing my tank and noticed that the flow from my Eheim 1060 return pump had slowed considerably. So I cleaned out the intake screen fitting to remove some chaeto that had become lodged. The flow increased on the pump, but it would not run consistently. It was also emitting a high pitched whine.

So I removed the impeller and discovered that the impeller had become fused with the ceramic impeller shaft due to calcification. When the impeller was rotating, it was rotating with the impeller shaft as well! Fortunately, I had a back-up pump with the same impeller and shaft. I installed them, and now the pump is working great again.

Sometimes, we just do not know how calcified our pumps become until they flow decreases considerably or the pump just stops working. I am going to make it a point to service my pumps more regularly.

Now I have the calcified impeller and shaft soaking in vinegar in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. The two parts are fused pretty tightly. I cannot get the shaft to rotate of to move along its axis at all. Hopefully, I can salvage the impeller without breaking the shaft. Thankfully, I have a new impeller shaft that I can use if I break the ceramic shaft.

Any tips on how to seperate the impeller from the ceramic shaft without damaging either piece?

Thanks,

Gary

On a side note, did you purchase the extra impeller shaft, or did it come from another pump? If you bought it, I would like to know where you found it, because I'm in need of one for my skimmer pump. Thanks!

Good news! I freed the impeller shaft from the impeller by carefully tapping both ends of the shaft on a brick alternatively.

I purchased replacement shafts for Eheim pumps online from this eBay seller:

http://myworld.ebay.com/rainbowoik/

Very good vendor. They promptly shipped and gave me a deal on combined shipping. I recommend them highly.

Gary

using muriatic acid works real well for removing calcium build up pretty quickly. Do it in a well ventilated area (preferably outside) and wear gloves and eye protection. Work reasonably quickly as this is not like vinegar....it works fast. I have done with with ampmaster pumps, skimmers, powerheads....anything that gets calcium buildups or coraline algae.

Back