Tissue loss

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

GoFishJoel

I have noticed over the last week or more that this coral has been loosing its flesh on the lower stock. :cry: The old grey area at the base died due to lots of algae surrounding the base of the coral. It has been exposed to light and water movement for several weeks now and it has not regrown in that area and this new area of tissue loss has developed. I moved the coral last night out more to where there is more water flow and light so I could keep a closer eye on it.
My tank is a 120 long (six feet). I run two Sea Urchin Pro Skimmers. I have two 400 watt metal halide bulbs (a 10K and a 20K) run by a PFO ballast. I have 120 pounds of live rock. The fish load consists of a Foxface Rabbit fish, a new very small Clown Tang, two Blue Green Chromis, a pair of clown fish, a mandarin, and a Bartlett’s Anthias.
Here are my chemicals. I run carbon after algae removal. I have three small (3 inch) rose anemones which have not moved anywhere within the coral since I purchased the coral.
I know that I could run my chemical levels higher and will probably be buying a calcium reactor soon. I could also increase the skimming and water flow a little but all the other corals are doing fine (all SPS).
As with all my frags this was purchased from Kevin. (And yes I cannot remember the name of it Kevin).
Ca 380
Alk 2.74
Mg 1200
Thanks everyone in advance
Joel
57630199.DSC_1630.jpg

57630007.DSC_1627.jpg

This is only my opinion.
When I have had that happen. I have found that fraging the coral off above the damaged part, taking several cuttings and supergluing them to the live rock, or a piece of rubble, seems to work best. It seems to me that when they are fragged they are more adaptable to new flow patterns, and they quickly incrust on to what they are attached to. I seem to have my best success with damaged corals like this. I get them from the lfs with damage alot, I just remove the dead part, and part of the good. Then break them up. Usually within a few weeks they have incrusted onto the live rock.
If I were in your shoes that is what I would do.
I believe that as a coral grows it becomes accustomed to the flow pattern, and the light pattern. Then it gets moved to holding, then shipped again, then retail, then bagged, then moved home. Its just not built for those changes. When fragged it has a chance to grow back right for the spot in your tank.
HTH
Steve

Hi Joel,
The coral looks healthy. You have a couple of options. You can superglue the tissue right at the place where the tissue stops but cosmetically it may not look that appealing. I would cut it just above where the tissue ends and make 2 separate corals from the one.

Regards,
Kevin
PS: I would also glue the corals to a much larger rock as the growth pattern of that coral tends to become top heavy quickly and will fall over.

Thanks guys for all the comments.
I think I will be looking for some glue to frag it. I was afraid I would be doing that.
Carl, Yes I am sure. I just moved it to that position in the last couple of days and I have checked it multiple times at night (when I get home from work) and the brain is not able to reach that far.

Well, guys I fragged it and am just watching now to see what happens. I used some pruning shears and of course the entire thing shattered. Next time I will use a Dremol tool to cut it. I will try to post some pictures sometime soon. Thanks again for the help.
Joel

I use sidecutters, they are for electrical wire. Very sharp. I rinse them in freshwater, then wipe them down with crisco. Its foodsafe. Have to be very carefull with things like PB blaster, and Wd-40 never getting on the tools for the tank. I store them seperatly.

Back