To all Zoa/Paly keepers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MUCHO REEF

How long have you been keeping zoas and palys?

How long have you been in the hobby?

Hope to see you here Tuesday the 18th at 9 PM Eastern time, pass the word. I hope we can have more members here than guest by then.

Thanks, Mucho

Last edited:
I have been in the hobby for a year now. I always loved marine life. Should've kept pursuing it after high school but never did.
I eye balled the tanks for probably a year or so and got my info in line and finally made the dive a year ago.
I started from scratch as I was told it was the easiest way to learn how everything worked.

I shortly after the tank being setup got my first frag of zoas.
Ever since then any chance I get to trade buy a frag I usually jump on it. I just love them. Then you get the uv colors popping ahh you all know what I am talking about.
I can't wait to get my hands on some of the fancy expensive ones I've seen before

Last edited:
Wow, I got home at 6pm pacific time. After spending the next hour and a half feeding my fish and the dog and my husband and I, I have finally gotten a momet to log on and the first place I came was this thread. I was expecting to be reading a lengthy discussion. Or am I in the wrong thread.

Well I started my first saltwater tank in April 2009. When I set the tank up, it was set up with live rock from an established tank that was being taken down. There were a number of corals on the rock. A few of them were zoanthids. I am looking at the tank, and realized I still have a couple of those zoas. Not a lot of each one, but I still have them. I have collected numerous colored zoas and palys. Lost many from melting away. Would like to learn how to treat them to try to stop that from happening.

Hey I see sedrostyle got in while I was typing.

Yea I was updating my phone and was having problems with it.
That's awesome lorrie I forget how many tanks you have again? 3?
Are your original zoas big colonies after 3 years!?
I can't wait till we can make it out there and check out your tanks personally.
The green leather sps thing I got from you just starte a few weeks ago sprouting these brown polyps on top of the green it looks awesome and I think it's really starting to take off.
Would like to get some zoas palys from you if their as nice as the other stuff I got from you
Thanks again
Steven

No unfortunatley they are not big colonies. Well I take that back, a couple are nice colonies but I was obviously feeding too much and ended up with a bad GHA outbreak and it smothered a lot of my zoas. some survived and are still doing really well.

And your welcome to come out any time.

Was your green hair due to lighting? Or poor water quality? Isn't that the only thing that causes that?
I luckily yet haven't had a green hair outbreak yet. Only in my sump but I think it was from leaving the light constantly on.
I have my free floater frags down there on some rubble. Trying to get my green hairy mushroom to settle on a good piece.

I think it was probably from over feeding. Just a lot of nutrients in the water.
I still overfeed at times.

been in the hobby for over 2 years now, have a few zoas (20 + types), mostly frags, still need to get a decent camera to post some pics, hopefully sometime next month

Been a reefer for 4yrs and have only been able to keep 1 type of Zoa/Paly.
All others perish :(
No name Zoas: Under Actenics
yhyzamyg.jpg

Same Zoas
saty7u4e.jpg

Green Implosion Palys:
asusepem.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I've been doing this for awhile and the zoas that really like to stay and grow in my tank are watermelons, nuclear green dragon eyes( I have several colonies over 50 polyps), and pink and golds. But lately my magicians are really taking off and so are my eagle eyes. Both were 2 polyp frags and are now 20 +polyp rock after a few months. My xenia is taking over and irritating some corals so I have been using an aptasia zapper to keep them from my zoas.

So Bill and NanaReefer. What are your husbandry practices? do you dose anything? do you feed anything? what are your water parameters? Having such great growth, your doing something very right. It would be helpful to others to know more and help them keep zoas and have them flourish.

I don't do anything special....I still have some melt once and awhile. I have some pink zoas and some gobbstoppers that are kinda melted but are making a come back. They start looking good then looking bad , then good again, time will tell.

Heres some dragon eyes.

more

Theres watermelons in there

More dragons

So theres a few of my good growers.

Since I've only been able to keep those ones alive I really can't say I'm a successful Zoa keeper. I just think these are of the hardy variety or true zoa weeds-lol. I do have some RADE's but they are kind of blah. Most start out great then all of a sudden just melt on me. I'm beginning to think it's all about placement in my tank?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Back