To cycl or not to cylce a Q-tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yankit3@hotmail

Copepod
Dear experts,

Got beaten up with the setting up of a Q-tank. Like to set up again for the 3 firefish. Currently running a HOB filter since 1st May.
Just a few questions from a newbie:-
(1) Could I just pour the water from my display tank?
(2) Should I have to wait for 1 week or so before bringing the fish in?
(3) During the 1 week do I have to do water change and do I have to feed the fishless tank?

Your advices are urgently needed.

Best regards

Jimmy WONG
from Hong Kong.

If you are using water from your tank and your tank parameters are fine, then I see no real reason to wait to add fish into quarantine unless you want to see if any adjustments may be needed like if a heater is necessary, if the parameters changed any etc. That is just my opinion though and not necessarily correct. I am going to start up one myself and I will be using water from my 75 gal which has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate etc so I see no reason for me to have to wait other than what I stated above. Like I said, just my personal opinion. I'd wait to see what the others suggest as well first and I wish you all the best:)

Unless an emergency situation, cycling the QT before aquiring the fish is highly recommended. Ask yourself this question, would you add fish to an uncycled newly set up display tank? Hopefully the answer is no, a QT is no different under these circumstances.

Again, if in an emergency using water from the main tank to fill the QT works just fine. Otherwise it's of no use. The water itself holds so little bacteia it's of little/no use in terms of water quality management. Since you have the HOB filter, I would run that on your main tank for a week or two to seed it then add it to your QT. Once done, feed the QT as you would if there where fish in there, although on the lighter side. It will feed the necessary bacteria until their populations are strong enough to support the fish without ammonia and nitrite concerns.

If you do not cycle the QT first, you will need to do at least daily water changes, sometimes two. Your chances of losing a fish will be greatly increased and your enjoyment of the whole process will be dampened so to speak.

Cheers
Steve

Unless an emergency situation, cycling the QT before aquiring the fish is highly recommended. Ask yourself this question, would you add fish to an uncycled newly set up display tank? Hopefully the answer is no, a QT is no different under these circumstances.

Again, if in an emergency using water from the main tank to fill the QT works just fine. Otherwise it's of no use. The water itself holds so little bacteia it's of little/no use in terms of water quality management. Since you have the HOB filter, I would run that on your main tank for a week or two to seed it then add it to your QT. Once done, feed the QT as you would if there where fish in there, although on the lighter side. It will feed the necessary bacteria until their populations are strong enough to support the fish without ammonia and nitrite concerns.

If you do not cycle the QT first, you will need to do at least daily water changes, sometimes two. Your chances of losing a fish will be greatly increased and your enjoyment of the whole process will be dampened so to speak.

Cheers
Steve

Makes logical sense Steve...I knew I was an idiot! :p Would adding some of the LR from the cycled tank to the quarantine tank make any difference with time? Just curious...

krish75 said:
Would adding some of the LR from the cycled tank to the quarantine tank make any difference with time? Just curious...
I wouldn't advise that. Moving inert materials from a seeding source is fine as long as it was not infected. Whatever is used in the QT should remain in the QT. Something like LR would become an intrical part of the biofilter. Many treatments needed would require that it be removed and in doing so you remove a major portion of the biofilter. Other things can easily be substituted like biobale, bioballs, foam filters, biofloss, filter floss and so on. As long as it is not a resin/carbon material or CaCO3 based, it's pretty much all good.

Cheers
Steve

I wouldn't advise that. Moving inert materials from a seeding source is fine as long as it was not infected. Whatever is used in the QT should remain in the QT. Something like LR would become an intrical part of the biofilter. Many treatments needed would require that it be removed and in doing so you remove a major portion of the biofilter. Other things can easily be substituted like biobale, bioballs, foam filters, biofloss, filter floss and so on. As long as it is not a resin/carbon material or CaCO3 based, it's pretty much all good.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks...:)

Alot of times a quarantine tank is not a permenant situation. Many people run a small sponge filter in their sumps. When the quarantine tank is necessary you can pull it out of your closet, fill it with tank water, (good opportunity for main tank water change), and put in the sponge filter and VIOLA your ready. Then after the QT dump the water and put the tank away.

Mike

Thanks, your advices are really helpful! So I'll start setting up the Q-tank after work and wait for 3 weeks until it is fully cycled. I'll come back to you helpful guys and report to you about the firefish in the Q-tank. Good luck to you all.

Jimmy

i have a sick clownfish, and i think it might be an emergency. i don't have a cycled qt tank (due to newbie ignorance), i want to put it on a treatment tomorrow, so do you guys agree that it is ok for me to use some tank water to put into a qt tank?

johnastig said:
i have a sick clownfish, and i think it might be an emergency. i don't have a cycled qt tank (due to newbie ignorance), i want to put it on a treatment tomorrow, so do you guys agree that it is ok for me to use some tank water to put into a qt tank?
Unneccessary when treating for Brooklynella unless secondary infection is present or the QT is already cycled. Brook lives it's life cycle on the fish and is passed from fish to fish. Your tank does not require fallowing so there is no need to put the fish in a uncycled QT. I would not suggest you do so anyway.

Cheers
Steve

Back