To drill or not to drill, that is the question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=64

a link to an inexpensive version of the CPR style overflows.

I also thought that this type of overflow was a bit quieter than the U-tube type.
My only real complaints with it were that i was having to change the hose that went from the aqualifter to the little syphon nipple very frequently, and although I never had too much coraline or other algae build up deep inside of it, I suspect that it would be a pain in the butt to clean out.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the info!! Its amazing how fast you can go from afraid to even look at tank to finding yourself at home depot buying fittings! I feel so much more comfortable with everything now. Now I just have to find a cheap place to buy live rock in the GTA that stuff is BIG bucks. Also do you guys have any thoughts on a skimmer for my 90 and return pump??

as for a skimmer, the octopus skimmers have been getting good reviews from some members here. they're a needle wheel design and not much money. look at the octopus NW-150 for your tank.
the best choice for a return pump is going to depend on wether you want an external pump or submersible. a lot of people use Mag pumps for their returns, as have I, and with no real complaints as long as you don't go above a Mag12. anything bigger than that (Mag18,24, or 36) and virtually everyone complains about how noisy they are. a Mag9.5 or Mag12 would probably be a good bet for a 90gal. external pumps to look at might be the blueline, iwaki, or poseidon pumps.

I vote for octopus, ASM and Euroreef for a skimmer and for a return pump, I've heard nothing but great things about the Eheim pumps which I want to try:)

Back