to drill or not to drill?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

schlegelli

was wondering if anyone has a little useful info on drilling glass...just aquired a 125gal. all glass and would like to drill return and overflow holes to make it cleaner looking...is it feasible and if so, how do I go about it? I'd rather not spend a 100 bucks for a bit that will probably only be used once. Any and all suggestions, comments, guffaws would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i think the bottom of that tank is tempered glass....you can't drill tempered glass...you may want to verify that it is tempered, but i am pretty sure!!!

You may want to contact a glass company and have them do it. Usually it will cost around $20 a hole.

Brian

thanks, I'm actually waiting for a callback as we type...the cheapskate in me is trying to save a little cash for everything else that i'm gonna need....we'll see what the glass man has to say

yeah, i would let a pro handle it also..that would suck to crack the glass!!!

My glass shop charged me $10 for the 2" hole in my sump, they also had a press to drill the hole, cheaper IYAM (If you ask me) :D

was wondering if anyone has a little useful info on drilling glass...just aquired a 125gal. all glass and would like to drill return and overflow holes to make it cleaner looking...is it feasible and if so, how do I go about it? I'd rather not spend a 100 bucks for a bit that will probably only be used once. Any and all suggestions, comments, guffaws would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is what I use they suck and there cheap but if you keep em cool they are good for three to six cuts and there cheap they have them all over ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3pcs-25mm-Diamo...1QQihZ008QQcategoryZ20755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

scooterman,one other thing about going to a glass shop....it is a 125gal....not the easiest to just throw in the trunk. I may end up hauling it there in the end, just checking out my options. I'm gonna check out the link that coil1002 sent me....thanks guys.

yeah, i've ordered 2 different bits from http://www.richontools.com/index.html, waiting for the mail. total cost, including shipping....about 15 bucks. i figure at that price, if i only get 3 or 4 holes out of a bit...it's well worth it. will let you know longevity of them soon.

That’s the ticket right there. a good way to keep the bits cool is to get some modeling clay and make a damn around where you are going to drill fill it with water and drill. If you need any help let me know. Just remember go as slow as you can especially towards the end that is when you will crack the tank trying to rush it to punch through.Dont try and do it all in one push. Push a few seconds then let up pressure this gives the bit time to cool and the water time to clean out the glas sludge from the score. Remember you are grinding not cutting.

Last edited:
thanks coil, i'm psychin' myself up....i'm not known for my patience, ask my wife...hehe. anyway, i've promised to take it sloooooooooooowwwwwwww. expecting the bits any day now.will keep you posted.

It is not as hard as you would think. I am working on a 90 gallon and have drilled about 4 holes in the sump so far. I was very scared and read everything i could about it. I read all about bracing the glass and using all kinds of special lubricants. But it all seemed like overkill, so I talked to a guy who had actually done it before. How I did it was just take the tank out in the drive way, turned the water hose on just enough to get a steady stream and started the drill slow. It was amazingly easy and takes about 30 seconds a hole. Just use a cordless drill, go slow, especially at the end, if you push through it will make jagged edges, the slower you go the smoother the hole. I did a lot of research on the bits themselves and learned that the real difference between the different bits is that the 100 dollar ones will last through several 100 holes. Well you need to do 10 at most. So I got one from Diamond Drill & Tool (link at bottom) Ive used it 4 times and it still looks brand new. I bet I could drill 50-60 holes before it starts to show any sign of wear. The diamond core bits are the one your looking for. Just make sure the glass isnt tempered and take your time and relax, it isnt hard. You need to know what size drain you need, then figure out what size bulk head your going to use. Because the hole you drill for a 3/4 inch fitting could be as big as a 1 1/2, also make sure you drill far enough from the edge, if not the bulkhead fitting could hit on something, so just buy the bulkhead fitting you plan on using and take some measurements and make sure you drill the hole in the size and location you want to..

Good Luck (though you arent going to need it)

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/MAIN.htm

I forgot to add that you want to get the ones that are electroplate bonded or the diamond bits will fall out alot faster and wont last as long or work as well.

Back