To many bubbles in the skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

I can't seem to get the SRO300I skimmer to stop overflowing the cllection cup. The gate is closed, and its sitting in 10" of water. here are some pics. I called RO and they can't seem to figure out why it's producing so much skim and filling the cup in 9 seconds. any ideas?

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    31.2 KB
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    29.4 KB
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    31 KB
thanks, didn't know there was one.

Yea, it's a tad bit hidden. It is a sub category under the equipment forum. Mark (skimmy) should be able to offer some advice here. I've never had any experience with these skimmers (although they seem to be a really popular brand) but does it come with it's own pump? If not, which pump are you using. Might help others to have a better idea as to what is going on. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gate valve allows water OUT right? So, if the gate is closed, your water level inside is higher correct? This would cause your issue, open the gate all the way and let the inner water level drop. (I could be wrong, but it won't hurt right? LOL)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gate valve allows water OUT right? So, if the gate is closed, your water level inside is higher correct? This would cause your issue, open the gate all the way and let the inner water level drop. (I could be wrong, but it won't hurt right? LOL)

I think you have that right Don. I'm pretty sure that's how my AquaC EV120 worked and plus, sounds logical if you think about it. :)

im hoping he meant the gate valve was all the way open... :)

if not, then yes, open the gate valve. :)

if it is open, then try taking the pump apart and looking for obstructions to the inside of the venturi,
or the impeller it's self.
also take the skimmer outlet plumbing up to the valve off, there might be something trapped in there.
also, do you use a water conditioner for tap?? or are you using ro/di?
or other possile feeding or dosing that might be causing the skimmer to freak out?

The picture shows water out of the gate valve. I know the directions for DelTec note that a fresh tank with fresh salt tends to cause the skimmer to freak out for a few days due to conditioners. I know that my skimmer hates new filter socks for example.

Is this a new tank? The foam is almost too white.

For starters I'd open the gate valve all the way. If it's still overflowing, cover the air inlets on the silencer and watch for the water in the skimmer body to change. If the air path is open you should see a pretty dramatic change inside the skimmer body when you physically cutoff the air flow into the pump. If you don't see a change, or only a very minor change then I suspect that you have an airline blockage.

If opening the gate valve all the way stops the overflow problem I'd let the skimmer run in that manner for a couple days and then very slowly close the valve down until you get bubbles to the bottom of the collection cup. At that point I'd let it run for several more hours and then slowly being to adjust the valve again until you're producing skimmate.

Get back to us once you've tried some of these things.

Mike

Yeah, I had the gate 100% closed, but when I open the gate 100% it blows the top off of the collection cup and makes a mess. This morning i tried lowering the water in the sump, and that didn't work. so then I opend the gate 100% and closed it a few times, and for some reason that seemed to work. With the gate now 10%-15% open I am getting a lot of foam, and it's now overflowing into the cup. When I get off work I'll check it out. "TheKraken" I did put in a lot of very fresh water about 60%, and most of it had only been mixed for a few hours. Mike, I think your dead on. I'll see if it's working in a few hours, but it might of just needed to sit in water for a few days. Thanks for the help! I'll get back to you guys in a bit.

Something sounds bass ackwards. When you close it down you get excessive bubbles. That part I can understand but when you open it up it blows the top off? In my skimmer if I open the valve all the way I barely get bubbles to the top of the reaction chamber. Something still doesn't sound right. Maybe I'll have another Corona and think about this.

Mike

Yeah, me too! now that its been running for 2 full days, I can close the gate and the bubbles fall 5" below the skimmers cllection cup. When I open it up 2 1/2 turns the bubbles begin to fall into the cup, so I think it is just gonna need a little more time to break in. It makes a very thick/dry foam that i've never seen before. My old skimmer produced large/wet sludge. I'll see what it looks like when I get home.

any update? I'm curious how this worked out for you. I recently (after overflowing mine with the tank pumps off for some maintenance) had a similar issue, but after a few hours it settled back down.

The skimmer seems to be working as designed now. The only problem that I face now is the splashing in the sump from the outlet. I also don't know where to place the water/bubble line cause the entire skimmer is all bubbles. I'll just keep watching it and see.

I'd try routing a piece of pvc as an extension below the water line to get rid of the splashing. Not sure which water/bubble line you're referring to though.

Back