To much light

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Clownguy

My tank is a 125 gal pentagon, so the shape of a diamond, and I have 3-250 watt mh on pfo hqi ballast with 2 13k aqualines and 1 20k radium in the middle. I was wondering if this could be too much light for any new additions. If it is not too much light should I just start any new additions really low and then bring them up over 3 or 4 weeks so they dont lose their color. Thanks in advance.

Chris

That is a lot of light but I dont think it is too much, as for new corals if they come from a system with low light you will want to start them in a shady or low spot, or you can put a few layers of screen over the tank and remove a layer per week untill it has acclimated to the new light.
Just a few thoughts that could help....

Matt

It really depends on what type of lighting system the coral was housed under before you got it. If it was under low lighting then I place them on the sand for a couple of weeks. After that I move them up about 6" higher each week until I get them to the desired location.

Regards,
Kevin

is this tank tall? if so you may want 400w instead. to penetrate deeper. if you want alot that is. I myself run t5's on my 125 rectangle with good results.

I dont think that is to much at all. I use to have a 125 ( have 265 now) and I had the same lighting. You will be fine. You could even raise the lights more if corals look stressed, Mine where 12inches above the tank. They loved the light.

To avoid shocking the coral, another easy approach is to reduce the lighting is by running only one of the MH for a couple of days, then two for a few more days , and then the finally the third after a week.

hey blue is that a perfecto 265 you have now? I am in the process of setting up a 265 perfecto and going to get rid of my 125. what pump are you running if it is a perfecto?

Thanks for all of the advice I am going to try a combination of moving the corals up slowly and having some screen over it. Thanks

Chris

Back