To Swirl or not to swirl

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ClamLubber

I just got my new ASM G3 skimmer this week and only had to stomp on it twice to jam it down into the sump. (just kidding, but it did barely fit). It is an upgrade for my reef system from the coralife needlewheel skimmer (their larger one). One thing I noticed right away was the Coralife one was designed to swirl the water around which in theory would extend hang time for the bubbles. The ASM has a much bigger chamber and the water crashes straight in and crashes around with great turbulence. If swirling is better it would be easy to add an elbow inside the chamber at the inlet from pump to cause it to swirl. Has anyone tried such a modification? Any reasoning to prefer random turbulence verses the swirling pattern?

My guess is the turbulant water creates more bubbles but its just a guess. I would say that each of them are good designs. I have no clue though as to which is better.

Not sure either...My bubbles just rise almost in formation when everything is set properly. If it's not set properly, it is very turbulent and I don't produce any skimmate. Maybe Mark (skimmerwhisperer) will know:)

IMO less turbulence is better.

if the bubbles are bouncing around off one another they have the potential to break the bond with the proteins.

also if you look at some of the high $$ skimmers like bubbleking they put a lot of thought into diffuser plates at the bottom of there skimmers to stop turbulence

I was doing some PVC work (building a return manifold for a Fish only tank) over the weekend and found a 1" elbow in the spare parts. I stuck it in the skimmer. It did create some swirl but it crashes into the side too hard sending bubbles straight up the side and I am thinking a 45 degree elbow might be better. Will have to look at collection container tonight to see if it looks any more efficient. My initial impression is that it is not going to be any better and likely will be pulling it out. May have to experiment with a 45 degree though.

In my DIY build I looked at all kinds of skimmer designs. I read the Skimmer comparison here and worked up a design that I thought would be good. I came up with the input (3/4) coming right up the middle to a T then to 2 90 ells (1/2) pointed upward at an angle to do a swirl. I had to play with the angle up wards and found an angle that seemed to work. After I had my initial design I found that a VS3-48 LifeReef skimmer http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html(you will have to scroll down and click on the skimmers since this site is done in frames) was almost spot on to what I had drawn up so I used it as a guide. I did not use their injection system but had purchased a Sedra 5000 for a power plant which is mounted directly under the skimmer body. This could easily handle a 9000. Below you can see it dry and in action - I now have a gate valve on the output. Boy what a world of difference for adjustment - don't even bother with a ball valve!! There are some more pics in My Gallery and at http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16248
I get no bubbles on the output.
I have no experience with other skimmers (except a seaclone 150) so I do not know if I am getting it done with this or not.
If anyone has any suggestions or comments let me know. Maybe I could experiment and just run it straight up with and without the ells and see what happens. (I did not glue any of the pipe so I could play and modify at will):)

If the concern is bubbles crashing and loosing protien then the first change of direction (an elbow) they encounter would start the crash process?

Last edited:
Back