to the navy guys on the island

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thatguy559

hey im currently on shore duty for the next 3 years. i have owned a salt water tank now for 4 years. i absolutely love this hobby. i know that a lot of you who deploy dont have anyone with the experience to take care of a tank. i offer my services for free if you just want to get away with the misses/or husband for a weekend i can make sure your tank doesnt die. or if you are deploying and dont want to tear down your tank. i can look after it for you. seeing how i just got back from a 8 month deployment myself. the whole time on the ship i was wondering how my tank was doing with my wife taking care of it. pm me if you have any questions.

Welcome to the "ROCK"

Hope you are not at FRC as it will be a LONG 3 years for you :D I've been here for the last 10 years and don't think it's really all that bad.

When you get ready to set up your new tank, I have a pretty good rapport with a few of the LFS that I visit often.

nope i will be in VAQ-129 im at cnattu right now going through a class. yes i will definately hit you up when i start building it. i have the tank and everything just waiting on the new skimmer and sump. then i can start building

Hey so since it seems that we are getting a few more people that actually know something about reef keeping and proper husbandry maybe we can get together from time to time and point discuss different techniques. I know that there are alot of other people here on the island that have reefs and would also like to jump in on this.

i just found this thread and it made me happy to see more ppl here on the island. my husband is with frc.... im still kinda new to reefing and am just now upgrading to a 50g from a 26g and a 10g. i think get togethers with us navy islanders would be awesome. it will be nice to have a few more locals to know and learn from! what lfs's do you guys normally use around here and which ones are best for what products? welcome to the island thatguy!

Dezzy,

Nice to see you on here. I know that there are a lot of closet Reefers here on the Island. It is hard to get them to come out. I have tried with a few. It is really good to hear that we are finally getting something going. I have met Justin and he seems to know quite a bit about this industry and being that he has come from another region could possibly have different ways of doing things.

If you need any help at all with setting up for the upgrade let me know. I have a bunch of totes and stuff for temporary storage during the move.

Ryan,

So yeah I am almost done getting everything I need for the tank and had to make a last minute buy. The tank should be here in about 2 weeks. I am pretty excited about the LED grow lights that I got for the refugium. I tried them out on my display and it was amazing the colors it brought out of my tank. I will post pictures of it later.

im glad that we can get together here on the island. share the wealth i have a lot of connections in California so i come accross something i dont know i can just ask them. but if anyone needs help or doesnt mind helping out let me know. i know i will need someone to help me put my tank on my stand...lol

the only local store i know is island pet center.

what lfs's do you guys normally use around here and which ones are best for what products?

Island pet is close, convenient, and they have a fair variety for a small town. Brian can get almost anything for you through special order. If you just have to have some cool stuff right now, you pretty much have to go down to the Seattle area. There's more people down there = Salt water only stores with bigger selections.

And weren't you going to move your tanks last week sometime? :D

i been planning to move my tanks for a while now took us a little longer to get settled in the new house than expected. i have gotten my 26 migrated to the 50 finally. im waiting for the light should be here friday to move over the 10g. :) it lookin so perty!

So Dezzy were you able to get your light, and how did the move go. Hopefully it was a smooth move. Let us know.

lol ya i got everything togeather and moved. everyone opened up and are loving it got a few new fish at the barrier reef frontiers sale aswell as a few new corals. i have pics on my new tank thread! it is so awesome! i love it!!

Nice tank Dezzy. I have a bunch of SHROOMS ( cough "of death" covered by another cough) that you can have. They spread like crazy. Let me know.

lol! yeah but they make a nice filler till more corals are aquired... i would love to come by and check them out sometime. i however have a family emergency in GA and will be in the big ATL for the next month. my husband will be caring for the tank till then*cringe* i will deff get intouch with you when i get back in!

hey guys. i have my 75g aquarium and im getting rid of everything in it for reasonable prices. all fish coral rock and sand gotta go. message me if you might be interested in coming taking a look and making an offer of stuff. thnx

Why are you getting out of the hobby? Would love to check them out. Can you post pictures of some of the equipment

I have a leak and do not have the time energy or funds to deal with it at this time. All i am getting rid of is the fish rock corals sand. Just the stuff inside. If you or anyone are interested in coming taking a look or wanna make an offer feel free to e-mail at dezzydory@ yahoo.com for address and more info. I have frogspawns duncans shrooms pulsing xenia kenya trees and several toad stools. As for fish i have a blk n wht ocelaris one orange n white clown a six line wrasse a yellow watchman goby and a royal grama. Might still be an emerald crab hiding somewhere. If your interested in all or part of what i have just message me with an offer. Needs to go asap my floor is soaked...

you know that I could store that in my garage if needed. Then when you get a chance to get the tank fixed then you could get them back and it would be far less to start off

Back