To use Co2 or Not?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shallowreef

I'm runing a 90gal SPS tank and have heard both sides of the story about Co2g.The thing is, i don't exactly have $600.00 laying around for a Co2 system. Is it really worth it or will i be fine just dripping Kalk? Also once bleaching starts on acros's base can it be stopped?

A friend of mine here in the Bahamas just drips Kalk and uses some other bottled chemicals and his tank is doing just fine. It may be because of the type of corals he has or maybe not. I've never personally kept anything more than rock or fish, so I haven't even begun to dive into calcium reactors or even kalk drips. I've only ever added a bit of liquid calcium daily to the tank. Hope you get it all sorted out. I think I will follow this thread a bit to learn something as I may be diving into keeping a few other things than just fish and rock in the future.

I personally feel that it is worth it, I however would never pay 600 for a co2 reactor setup. I did mine for about $220 w/ tank and regulator, and 90 of that was just regulator. I got the bottle for 30 of TRT a couple years ago and built the reactor myself. A co2 reactor is not a necessity by any means, as long as you can keep up w/ your cal and alk demands w/ manual dosing, and don't mind doing it, then that will be fine. Untill you get fed up w/ manual dosing that is.

Tom is dead on. I dosed Kalk on my 75 for about 2 years and then ran a DIY Kalk reactor for another year before getting a CaCl reactor. The cost of the tank and regulator are unavoidable unless you find a screamin deal on a used setup, but the reactor is something you could DIY. I love having a reactor. I check the PH of the effluent every once in a while and that's about it. Set it and almost forget it.

I'm very interested now that i know i don't have to spend so much money. Fill me in as to where and how i buy these parts and assemble everything. Do you know of any sites that sell these at a cheap price. I'm willing ti try anything as long as i can stay in the $200-$300 range.

Also when you use a reactor ive read it replaces trace elements which using kalk. does not. I,m waiting for the workshop Hint Hint :)

Well I could do a workshop if mike wants me to. Did you make one of Donw's skimmers? If you can make that you can definately make a cal reactor. It is just a matter of making the same flanges and is really a lot less work since there is no neck involved.

You can check the planted aquarium sites for the PH controllers and CO2 regulators. They tend to be a bit cheaper than the reef guys.

This place has a controler for $100 and regulator for $75
http://www.aquabotanic.com/abstore/en-us/dept_3.html

or this place the whole enchilada is $150
http://www.aquarium-testers.com/en-us/dept_427.html

the CO2 bottle is about $50 (plus shipping) if you order it online, or you can shop around locally at the welding shops. The fill is about $12 for a 5lb bottle. Tom recommends this place www.beveragefactory.com

For acrylic it all depends on the size and type of the reactor. Reverse flow, normal flow, 4", 6", 8" diameter tubing? Flanges, etc.

Last edited:
Tom we will talk about a reactor workshop for sure, we have a topic just about to come on line, maybe after that??

On the bottle just go to any weilding/gas supply company thier cheap and you just exchange them when thier empty. Also IMPO I would not go with co2 from a beverage company as the grade is alot lower then from a weilding company in regards to contaminants.

Mike

On the bottle just go to any weilding/gas supply company thier cheap and you just exchange them when thier empty
Maybe down south they are, but up in the northend it was about the same price as ordering one new online. They wanted between $55 and $80 for the 5lb bottle and another $12 to fill at the welding suppliers up here. I should travel south for my welding stuff ;)

There's a central welding place in georgetown, I remember them charging me like 12 bucks. I know the one in lynnwood is cheaper, I think cause they fill on the spot. where the one in georgetown does an exchange. (I used to paintball). Sorry for the off topic.

Thats cool i paintball now so i know a couple places but i don't know if the will fill up something this big. They are used to filling up 20 oz tanks not 10lb tanks.

yeah, i would stay away from paintball places since they will charge you alot. All they do is fill a very large tank for a welding shop. Find a welding shop, and it'll be much much cheaper.

You should find a 10 or 20lb tank and use that to fill your 20oz. tanks. thats what i did. If i ever need c02 for my tank, i'm just going to use my 20lb tank.

Back