toadstool coral help!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

maverik

i have got a nice little marine setup doing really well but i have decided to put a toadstool coral in but it is not opening like it did in the shop what would be the minimum lighting for these my tank dims are 48x15x15 inches i have mushroom polyps and other polyps which are doing well can anybody help me....

thanks in advance

dave

Welcome to Reefrontiers !!!!!!!.. first of all, do you have any pics of the coral??? how close are the mushrooms to the toadstool???? what kind of lights are you using currently???the answers will help...alot of times these leathers close up for weeks at a time for no reason, but it could be that you have the mushrooms too close to them...unless your lights are really sorry, i wouldn't think that it was the lighting...how often do you do water changes???

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

moved to Anthony's forum for his input..

How long have you had the coral?

toadstool

the lights are 2xmarine white glo tubes 38watts each,1xblue actinic water changes are every 4 weeks 25% the mushroom polyps are @ the 1 end and the toadstool is in the middle about 6" below the surface the toadstool is about 12 - 14" from the mushroom polyps

The shrooms are not the problem, Too dimly lit and possibly not sufficient water flow. Move it directly under your light raised up as close as possible, with water flowing across or around it and see if that helps. Seems the pumping action helps them.

i think there is sufficent water movement as i am using 2xexternal filters and 3xpowerheads ?

Sounds good, make sure that the water flow is not directly at it, but sufficient to be wiggling them a bit. Try moving them very close to the light. What is your salinity, PH, and temp?

salinaty is 1.021 temp is79-80 ph is 8.3, there seems to be a film like skin or something it`s like it is shedding its skin almost?

any body what this is?

Last edited:
They do molt from time to time. Seems like you have only had it for a few days, give it time to adjust. Might wanna bump up the salinity a lil to about 1.025. I have a similar toadstool under 2x250w metal halides, it loves the light and good water movement.

hth

inadequate water flow is often a/the problem... and folks really do overestimate that they have enough. But the mushroom leather coral is an excellent beacon here... that mucus tunic you are seeing should slough off in about 24-26 hours if you have enough water flow... and if not, it will linger longer and stifle the coral.

Please do add up your water flow devices... if you do not make a 20-30X (tank turnover) ratio... then there is definitely too little flow. Some reef tanks in fact have 60X turnover and are better for it (more like a natural reef)

kindly, Anth-

ok how do i work that out my devides total 1542 ltr per hr and my tank is i
37 gallons

cheers, Maverik... no worries. Aim for about 50K liters per hour for turnover and that will put you near average (Paletta cites 37X turnover average in his ultimate reef aquarium book for one perspective). If you want sps dedicated display(s), you may need to employ twice that much flow

There are 3.78 liters in a gal so you have 1542/3.78 = 408 GPH total movement divided by 37 gallons equals 11X tank turnover ratio. Per Anthony, looks like you need to double or triple that to keep your toadstool happy. Better water flow and more light to raise coral. Seios are good due a wider flow pattern. Maxijets can be pointed at an angle toward and along the tank front.

Good luck with all :>)
Mike

(looks like while I was hunt and peck typing, Anthony promptly answered your question)

Last edited:
filter

added 2xmarine white lights and an ehiem filter now toadstool lokks a lot happier thanks again guys

I have a toadstool and when I first got mine I had it under basic flourescent tubes too and it did very well.....I would say it just needs some time to acclimate to your tank.....

Back