Toadstool leather dying or shedding?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xxkenny90xx

Hey guys I picked up this leather from a guy with a great, healthy looking tank about a week ago. It opened up after a day but never extended any polyps. Now it's shedding this brown stuff that blows right off with a turkey baster. I can't seem to find any pictures online of a shedding toadstool. So should I get this guy out of my tank or is this normal behavior? All other corals and fish are doing great btw. Thanks
ta9a8yga.jpg

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

I did an iodine dip when I first got it and again yesterday

Leathers will do that from time to time.
Maybe point a powerhead in the general area for some extra indirect flow.
The iodine dip may have stressed it, so it may take a little more time to bounce back.

So that looks pretty normal then? That's good to know, I don't want a rotting leather in my tank

As Marty said.
I have had my toad stool go thru this in the past. No biggie.

It sometimes would be in this state for 3-5 days before looking bigger and better than ever.

Thanks for the info guys, it made me nervous since I've never seen a shedding coral before. I siphoned out a lot of the free floating skin but there's still plenty in my tank, is it pretty harmless or do I need to siphon it daily?

Hey guys I'm still pretty worried here, it seemed like the toadstool was getting better and even has some polyp extension, but now it's got a cracking in it and a big hole??
yduvudet.jpg
zarabuja.jpg

My does this from time to time. When it changed tanks, it will go through an adjustment period. Then from time to time the will go into a funk for about two weeks and then come out of it. They get holes in themselves, slime and look pathetic. They are pretty hardy however, so I wouldn't worry. The guy I got mine from, had a huge one and had it in a tub and he was just slicing it apart. The one I got from him is healthy but he goes into his funk every once in awhile, just like yours is doing. Just leave him alone and he will be okay. He probably didn't like the iodine dips, it is kind of a shock on a soft leather like him.

Hey Kenny, mine is going thru a similar pattern, it has done this before when i fragged it. I think its pretty normal, the cracking is its way of splitting into multiple pieces. N1Husker, did you get it from me? I believe Kenny did, dont remember if you did or not. A LOT of people have pieces of my giant white polyp toad. Be patient Kenny, I have seen this thing look horrible only to come back stronger and better than ever. Remember, I took a 20 inch across toadstool and cut it into chunks, that is a tremendous stress on it, but they do bounce back.

Hey Kenny, mine is going thru a similar pattern, it has done this before when i fragged it. I think its pretty normal, the cracking is its way of splitting into multiple pieces. N1Husker, did you get it from me? I believe Kenny did, dont remember if you did or not. A LOT of people have pieces of my giant white polyp toad. Be patient Kenny, I have seen this thing look horrible only to come back stronger and better than ever. Remember, I took a 20 inch across toadstool and cut it into chunks, that is a tremendous stress on it, but they do bounce back.

Yes, I got mine from you with some GSP that is still doing well. Both are alive and well and I have fragged it out to other people for free as a pay it forward. Both are still beautiful. That was a couple of years ago.

Yes I did get it from you and thanks again, ok thanks for all of the input guys, I'll stop my worrying

That toad originally came from a fellow member name Kenargo. I had gone to his place to buy a Remora skimmer way back in the early days of my system when i still had a 40b, before the 55, the 90, and the current 150 lol. He gave it to me for free and it was the size of a cueball. I cant count how many times it has grown to 18 inches across and i fragged and shared it with many other hobbyists. Its one of the fun parts of the hobby, seeing frags of your stuff spread to others. Give it time Kenny, I would guess that in a week to 2 weeks it will be fully polyped out and doing well. But I can identify with the worrying lol, I am paranoid about my tank, always tweaking, watching, adjusting...

That's nice to hear how it's made its way into so many tanks, I'll surely pass some of it on once it's big enough. Watching, worrying, adjusting, yep, that sounds just like me and my tank too

Back