Toadstool

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ATP123

Huh?
Hi,

I have this green toadstool that hasn't opened up in almost two weeks (about 1 1/2). He opened up the first two days after the tank exchange, but hasn't opened since. At first, I thought he was just "cleaning" with the white film, but than I started seing pathces on him. The toadstool doen't look too good and I'm not sure what to do.

Water parameters are fine except PH is a little low. (7.8-7.9) I couldn't remember the others from last week so I'll check again tonight and postem. Should all be fine though.

I also have two other toadstools in the same tank and they're open up all the time.

Normally, he would look like the one on the bottom left
DSC00457.jpg

now:
DSC00710.jpg

what has changed?

are water parameters the same?
when is the next time your lights need to be changed??
have you tried changing its position?

they like medium flow and high light..

Lights:
2x96 watts PCs actinics about 3-4 months old
2x400w 20k MH about 5-6 months old

I'm checking the parameters tonight.

I did repostition, but no change. I'll see hat I can do to increase flow in that area.
I'll try and find a soft brush to use.

current flow:
1-K2
1-K3 maybe a K4
1-mp40

+1 on trying to remove the algae. Algae could be preventing the polyps from coming out. It's not until leathers start melting when you get into real trouble.

i had a crown leather that did that after being in the tank for a year he closed up for 2 weeks thought for sure he was dead he had algae build up on him(i didnt clean it off so i moved him to make room for other corals a couple days later he was open again

leathers (for lack of a better words) just go down, look crappy slump over and the polyps don't come out. Sometimes for a week or two.
During that time algae can form and hinder it coming back.
I've found that sometimes you can help matters a little by adding more flow to the area.
Not sharp direct flow, but wide or indirect flow.
As long as it doesn't start to rot it should be fine.

Back