Todd's 125g (Part II = Plumbing of the sump/fuge)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

*lol* Looking great Todd. I guess you beat me to getting the tank wet first, I always seem to be late to the parties these days. Did you get the lighting finished up?

Cheers,
Alex

Looks photoshopped to me
Oops forgot to add this pic and to rib Alex for getting my project wet before his :boink:
DSCF0085.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Jason, hopefully the inside will look as good as what you had in her. I should get to some aquascaping by this weekend and see if my dual diagonal island fits as envisioned. If down in the area feel free to stop by or just after work since only 4+ miles from here.

Mike, I'm not smart enough to Photo-Shop even if I wanted to...

Cheers, Todd

Finally some water!! Looks great Todd. You really did some clean work especially on the probe holder. Nicely done dude!:)

I am curious how did you get the magnets set into the solid acrylic dowel? Never showed an after photo with the magnet mounted/recessed. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

Sorry Alex, here you go

held the cut dowels in place to mortise 5/8" holes to a flush fit depth of magnets
DSCF0091.jpg

then glued in magnets flipped over and glued into 1-1/8" mortises in holder itself
DSCF0093.jpg

simple epoxy coated magnets for Erics dry side but since mine will be wet in sump made this style by capping off open end with 1/8" scrap material
DSCF0094.jpg

and good enough for my sump
DSCF0095.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Very cool work Todd. That is what I thought you had done with mounting them magnets in there. Wasn't sure if you used epoxy to set the magnets in or the encapslulation method. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

Todd,
Were did you get your magnets? I would like to get some to make a glass cleaner. Most online stores want almost $200 for one that will work on a 3/4'' tank.Damn!!!!

OK, plumbing is tight, Herbies are tuned, temps up, salts in and by tomorrow I will have some base rock and sand in there too eben wid a hed code on X-mas
Dave, the best deal I've found is through CMS Magnetics magnets4less.com Martin (mfinn) sent me links last year to.

Cheers & Happy Holidays, Todd

Wow Todd, This thing is really starting to come together quickly now. Merry Christmas to you. :)

what size of holes did you drill?...probe location & set screw?.....did you use those roto broch bits on all of it?....looks like it leaves a nice finish...

OK, how time flies... so a lil update to plumbing as getting very near to the Wet Test. Drilled holes in back of stand and top of sumpfor future ATO, alot easier now than later. Then made a nice magnetic probe holder for my Apex's temp, PH, ORP and an extra space for future conductivity probe.
DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

finished product
DSCF0080.jpg

Have been holding off on glueing a shelf or something to back of tank to support the SeaSwirl but came up with a new idea while making the above probe holder. A stand-alone bracket should work well fingers crossed
DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0078.jpg

To be continued...

Cheers, Todd

what size of holes did you drill?...probe location & set screw?.....did you use those roto broch bits on all of it?....looks like it leaves a nice finish...

It looks like Todd used forstner bits (gold bit in photo, possible HF bits?) and twist drill bits for the probe holder build. Steel annular cutters (aka: Rotabroach bits) are mainly used for steel and auto body work and probably not the best choice for blind holes in acrylic.

Cheers,
Alex

You are correct Alex, I'll post the exact sizes for you tomorrow DJ but 5/8 & 1-1/8 forstner bits 1/4-20 tap for nylon boltsCheers, Todd

Back