Tomato worm

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

57reefer

II have a tomato clown in a sick tank; he’s got a worm. It's light gray ion his lower pectoral fin. I scraped it off once about 2 months ago but it came back. Would Hypo work. He eats great and other wise is in great health. :|

Steve is away from a computer until around the 8th of January.

I am by no means enlightened, when it comes to diagnosing/treating our animals... but do tend to read here for "heads-up" information.

In that reading, I came across Lee's (Leebca) post below... that may help for a worm problem.

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marin...fish-how-super-pooper-snooper.html#post134969

Ummmm, again, I'm not sure, but I always thought worm problems were an internal problem, not an external one??? You may wish to send a PM to Lee, and see what information you get there also.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Very good to read that the fish has been separated from any others.

It can be a worm on the external. They are not very common to our aquarium fishes (and many of them have a complex means of reproducing themselves such that they can't in our aquariums). Most like Ed has indicated are internal.

Generally, the parasitic group of worms create a hole into the fish. This makes a Formalin bath treatment risky, since Formalin is not recommended for fish with an open wound.

If the 'worm' is really a crustacean of sorts, then a medication containing an Organophosphate (Trichlorfon & Dylox) is the treatment of choice. A product like Clout will usually work, but this is pretty dangerous (to the fish) kind of treatment. Without a clear picture of what it looks like, up close and clear with high resolution, there isn't much more that can be done in the way of diagnostics.

Thanks guys. I will try to get a picture of the worm. Is has reproduced because there are now two, one on the front fin and one the rear. Would Hypo work?

Unfortunately, a hyposalinity treatment works on only a few, very specific ciliated organsims. It probably will have no affect on the parasite. But I am in favor of lowering the specific gravity to 1.016 to 1.018 on any ill fish to help it conserve energy.

You could first try a freshwater dip according to what I recommend:
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marin...tment/18887-freshwater-dip-marine-fishes.html.

After the dip, check the water for any signs of 'dead things.' :evil: Returnt he fish to its normal water then slowly reduce the sp. gr.

Thanks Lee, I'm glad you've been thinking about it. I have already lowered to the sg to that range for the last month. I've done only 1 dip about 1 month ago. I will do another one. Thanks again. Tom

Back