Tonga Maricultured Acropora

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

maggiesaquasup

I have been seeing alot of the Tonga Maricultured corals the past few weeks. What are your thoughts on them ? Do you think they will live up to, or be as good as the Bali aquacultured acros?

here are a few that I have.

n1028.jpg

same coral as above but top down pic one month later, it is the one on the right bottom.
april06010.jpg

this one was pink and lime green with white polyps and now:D
april06012.jpg

and this one, we will see what this one does.I got it two weeks ago.
april06031.jpg

Colors are better when they first arrive it seems...and I seem to like the types of corals they have...ie...Montipora sp...Acropora sp....

Then again I'm probably partial since I'm from Indonesia...

Best,
Ilham

Those two corals look great Charlie (the ones you just got).

I guess if we want to be picky, they are actually (the Tonga and Bali ones) aren't aquacultured but 'maricultured' corals.

Best,
Ilham

aq·ua·cul·ture ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kw-klchr, äkw-) also aq·ui·cul·ture (kw-klchr, äkw-)
n. In both senses also called aquafarming.
#1The science, art, and business of cultivating marine or freshwater food fish or shellfish, such as oysters, clams, salmon, and trout, under controlled conditions.
#2 Hydroponics.

mar·i·cul·ture ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mr-klchr)
n.
Cultivation of marine organisms in their natural habitats, usually for commercial purposes.

I will tell you what I have found to be the difference.

Aquaculture are grown in a controlled conditions such as tanks,warehouses etc.

The mariculture are grown in lagoons or in there natural habatat.

Elmo18 said:
Those two corals look great Charlie (the ones you just got).

I guess if we want to be picky, they are actually (the Tonga and Bali ones) aren't aquacultured but 'maricultured' corals.

Best,
Ilham
You got it, but most people no them as Bali aquaculture and not the true name Bali Mariculture.

it always annoys me how environmentally smart they try to sound, but all they do is go out and harvest big colonies of coral and break them up, mount them, and sell them a couple months later and call it aquaculture, thats barely maricultured, let alone aquacultured:evil:

maggiesaquasup said:
aq·ua·cul·ture ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kw-klchr, äkw-) also aq·ui·cul·ture (kw-klchr, äkw-)
n. In both senses also called aquafarming.
#1The science, art, and business of cultivating marine or freshwater food fish or shellfish, such as oysters, clams, salmon, and trout, under controlled conditions.
#2 Hydroponics.

mar·i·cul·ture ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mr-klchr)
n.
Cultivation of marine organisms in their natural habitats, usually for commercial purposes.

I will tell you what I have found to be the difference.

Aquaculture are grown in a controlled conditions such as tanks,warehouses etc.

The mariculture are grown in lagoons or in there natural habatat.

great... sharing great info on... thanks!:D

I just watched a presentation done by Walt Smith at the WMC. They actually prop the maricultured frags from mother colonies grown from frags on big racks. A lot of the stuff coming from him are 3rd generation. I don't know what other exporters are doing, but I was happy to hear that Walt was not just chop shopping corals...

nishnabek said:
I just watched a presentation done by Walt Smith at the WMC. They actually prop the maricultured frags from mother colonies grown from frags on big racks. A lot of the stuff coming from him are 3rd generation. I don't know what other exporters are doing, but I was happy to hear that Walt was not just chop shopping corals...

I did call around today and found out the same thing. I don't know if anyone has seen some of the new ones that are comming in,but they are awesome.

Back