Too fine of sand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

Hey guys and gals, I have a quick question. I set up my new softie a tank and used fine araganite sand. Kinda like powder fine, with some thicker chunks too. I have 40lbs in a 72g tank with three 300gph powerheads and a skimmer. Its been 24hrs and still has yet to settle. It was better when I got home tonight, but when I went to move some of the rocks around I stirred it all up again. My first tank was very fine sand with no problem, as far as I can remember and my other reef is bare bottom. Refresh my memory, is this normal? Did I select way too fine of sand? Should I lower my flow level? I also should add I am an impatient idiot and didn't rinse the sand before putting it in the tank, but the sand its self is so much like dust, I didn't think it was worth the time. Thanks in advance.

Brett

I had the same problem. Since this kink of sand is such a fine powder you need to have a lower water flow for at least a month or so. This way your tank will be able to cycle the finer particles of sand out. I hope what I learned from my exp. will help you. :)

I think the best way to clear the tank is to use a power filter. Other reefers probably have one lying around, i used an aquaclear 200 and it cleared upin less than A day.

agreed, or "wash" the sand before putting it in the tank. It will settle. The only problem is, it kinda coats everything, including all the live rock. Takes a couple days of blowing off the rock and then letting it get filtered out.

It's normal Brett. Did you rinse out the sand prior to use? I normally choose not to rinse for the silt and small grains. It will settle eventually. The larger grains will eventually go to the top and weigh the sand down so you won't have problems with it blowing around.

- Elmo

I recommend letting it settle mine took a week, then i got a sand-sifting gobie and that took another two weeks. Rob Toonen recomends not rinsing as the finest particles are washed out. The finest particle are probably going to disolve and help with the chemistry. Sand beds are a slow process take your time.

Agree...

Normal, can be solved with patience, a power filter, a skimmer, etc... Once a good bacterial flora starts to develop on the sand particles, it will become denser than water.

Take er easy
Scott T.

Yep, once the bacteria get a good biofilm on the particles they wont blow around so easy.

Mike

Back