Too many feather dusters?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

windwaterwaves

Aquaholic
I've noticed recently the feather dusters in the shaded areas of my tank of taken off, there are probably 80-100 or so. Is this good? bad? other?

its good bad also can be bad as well.
if they are the type of feather duster with long tubes they are know to be very irritating to corals. however with out a picture I cant tell you if this is the type of duster you have...

Matt

haha i also have a crapload of feather dusters there white tubed and they grow everywhere but havnt been bothering my coral any

We have them growing all over as well and they have caused no problems other than I feel bad about vacuming the sand as I know some are getting sucked up.

If they get to bad, throw a cbb in there for a few days : ) I've never seen them harm anyhthing myself.

If they get to bad, throw a cbb in there for a few days : ) I've never seen them harm anyhthing myself.

I have seen them number in the thousands in reef tanks and trust me if they decide to grow and spread over corals they will irritate and kill flesh of the coral.
these are easy to control though..

I have had no issues with the hard tubed dusters that are taking over my tank. I find them beneficial and are an awesome addition to my tank. I do see that the tube snails seem to be more of an irritant then any feather duster. The long stringy nets they produce often end up on my zoo's and cause them to close momentarily until the net is retracted or broken off. Oh and they kill me every time I try to move something, those little &*$%#@# hurt if your grab them the wrong way.

I know someone at Blue Sierra Store that has a fuge full of them vs Chaeto... a living filter basically.

Hi all

i have the same prob, well i wouldnt call it a prob i like them, its on my right side of my 600gal covers bout 2'x2' area i like them, they are also in my refugium.

Sorry for thread hijacking, but I was curious: I've always loved fan worms and picked some up a month or so ago at Blue Sierra. The largest are around 4" long, are pretty nicely patterned (but not much real color), and don't seem to reproduce very fast.

I recently picked up some smaller (most around 2") solid white ones from someone on this forum, and already I'm seeing new ones pop up.

From what I understand, "real" Hawaiian feather dusters (and coco worms?) don't reproduce in captivity...but are there other colorful fan worms that do?

Back